The beat goes on

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
So you're saying every person in the united states is an Army Paratrooper? Everybody is qualified to handle assault weapons?

Unless you were drafted into a war situation, you VOLUNTEERED to put yourself in those situations. You received training to BE in those situations and you have the mental scars FROM those situations. You are not the Average Joe Blow American, point blank and period.

As an aside, the fact that you have to resort to e-violence (or propositions thereof) to make a point or at least establish yourself a "Fact Giver" undermine your ability to effectively make a point, and show a little bit of hostility that, at the outset, puts you in the category of one who cannot control their temper. It's okay being that it's part of PTSD and it's sad that our military doesn't get the mental help they need after living through such atrocious things. :(

if you read the last part of my second post, it says I agree with the second amendment stipulation of "Self-Preservation."

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
BTW, if anything I said pissed you off, that's good. It means you did your job protecting this country and my freedom, and I appreciate everything you did :)

Last edited:

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
everyone SHOULD know how to handle multiple weapon systems and be able to do so safely and this education should start at a young age.

the point of the tirade was based on your "armchair quarterback" statement. and just a quick google gives you multiple results of average Joe Blows and even children that have acted to subdue or eliminate madmen/violent criminals. so no... you do NOT have to have extensive military training to react as such. the fight-or-flight response is not the flight-or-flight-harder response. fighters to exist. they can be soccer moms, school teachers or 8 year old kids. so your linkage to PTSD is null and void.

next... you sound like you dont even know what the 2nd Amendment says... here are a few words that you pretend do not exist: "shall not be infringed"

finally... I AM giving facts. and you are insisting on making an invalid emotional special plea. and even after giving all of those facts, you cannot answer a simple question... so I will ask again...

who is responsible and liable for your safety and protection?

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Again, a gun is nothing but penis inches to many owners. You feel brave BECAUSE you have a gun in most instances and with most people. Does that make them "Brave" no that makes them "gun brave"

You don't have to jump up fighting to diffuse a situation and My "fight" response is wordsmithing. conversation is just as important as shooting a bullet through someone's chest.

My PTSD link was specifically to YOU threatening me to "Watch my mouth" or someone will "open hand slap" me... That's a threat of violence and one that undermines your credibility.

Again, you have yet to read the end of my post. "Self-Preservation"... Maybe that's a little too abstract for you :confused:

maybe I should put it in a simple formula. I am receiving my CCW for my own self-protection... Hence me saying I agree with the Second Amendment. Maybe you're too busy on your Military Rage to understand my words, but just take a minute to absorb the things I'm telling you.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
In other words, I'm willing to undergo psyche evaluations to determine if I have any mental disorders, rage issues, delusions of grandeur or anything else. I am willing to have my judgement tested to make sure I have the mental capacity and the wherewithal to handle an object designed SPECIFICALLY to kill living things.

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
"with most people"
who exactly are "most people" you are referring to... and wouldnt LE fall into this category as well? if so then your network of protections is also fallacious by your own logic?

I never said violence diffuses all situations but in situations where there is a direct and immediate threat to the lives of the people nearby then there is not much of a choice BUT violence because talking is not much of an option with someone who has openly displayed a lack of consideration for the safety and lives of others.

and you are still presenting the 2nd Amendment as an entitlement... when it is an unquestionable right. and based on your admission of multiple occurrences of cowardice, dont you fall into your own category of "gun brave"?

so far, most of everything you have said is self-invalidating.

and then you go on to try to present gun ownership as an entitlement even more through "self sacrifice" of psych evals.

and again. you still have not answered the question:

Last edited:

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
and I get a laugh out of how you label it as "military rage" when it is a courtesy heads-up because there are a lot more veterans out there than you think. you could label it as such if I didnt back my argument up with a HUGE stack of case law and was doing like you and making emotional pleas and trying to negotiate my perspective into being valid.

the issue is non-negotiable no matter what kind of spin you try to place on it... like I said... and will probably end up saying again... what I am saying is based on a mountain of case law that is up to 150 years old.

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
"with most people"
who exactly are "most people" you are referring to... and wouldnt LE fall into this category as well? if so then your network of protections is also fallacious by your own logic?

I never said violence diffuses all situations but in situations where there is a direct and immediate threat to the lives of the people nearby then there is not much of a choice BUT violence because talking is not much of an option with someone who has openly displayed a lack of consideration for the safety and lives of others.

and you are still presenting the 2nd Amendment as an entitlement... when it is an unquestionable right. and based on your admission of multiple occurrences of cowardice, dont you fall into your own category of "gun brave"?

so far, most of everything you have said is self-invalidating.

and then you go on to try to present gun ownership as an entitlement even more through "self sacrifice" of psych evals.

and again. you still have not answered the question:

Okay... If it helps you sleep at night to call me a coward, do whatever it takes, man.

I will bow out of this one, and you can have it all to yourself :)

somebodyelse

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Am I running from a fight? no, I recognize this situation as a robot parroting the same question answered 5 times because he thinks he's got something to gain.

There's nothing that can come out of this conversation and honestly... I've got better things to attend to... Like family and BBQ :D

As an aside, My brother, father, Uncles (on dad's side) and Several of my friends are active and retired military.

Happy Memorial Day folks :)

Last edited:

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
you never answered the question. and it was a simple one.

Clamz

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
So in australia we had a big gun thing in like '97 or '96,
everybody had to hand over their unnecessary guns and stuff.

haven't really had a massacre since.

mind you suicide has to be a lot more slow and painful.

BigRooster

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2018, PEG
Reaction score
You're a great armchair quarterback, but when you've been involved in not 1, or two, but THREE school shootings (Yes, I have) the idea of some nutjob rambo wanna be going to take out the "shooter" and hitting innocent people because he's operating on adrenaline and an entitlement complex isn't the most comforting.

I'm more afraid of the people like you who swear up and down that more guns save people. How about correct licensing of firearms to people who are stable.

There are always indicators of someone's mental disposition. Like I said, people who are gun nuts are likely the ones who wouldn't pass these psyche evaluations. they stink of conspiracy theory, paranoia, and mania.

Again, a gun is nothing but penis inches to many owners. You feel brave BECAUSE you have a gun in most instances and with most people. Does that make them "Brave" no that makes them "gun brave"

You don't have to jump up fighting to diffuse a situation and My "fight" response is wordsmithing. conversation is just as important as shooting a bullet through someone's chest.

My PTSD link was specifically to YOU threatening me to "Watch my mouth" or someone will "open hand slap" me... That's a threat of violence and one that undermines your credibility.

Again, you have yet to read the end of my post. "Self-Preservation"... Maybe that's a little too abstract for you :confused:

maybe I should put it in a simple formula. I am receiving my CCW for my own self-protection... Hence me saying I agree with the Second Amendment. Maybe you're too busy on your Military Rage to understand my words, but just take a minute to absorb the things I'm telling you.

Three times you were involved in a school shooting? Now you are applying for a CCW? Might not be so fortunate on the fourth one huh? Hope it never happens again, but I would've gone for mine after the first time.

Also if I am correct on this. Chicago is now easing up on their gun laws. At one point they had the strictest gun laws in the nation and the highest murder rate. Yeah gun laws work.

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
So in australia we had a big gun thing in like '97 or '96,
everybody had to hand over their unnecessary guns and stuff.

haven't really had a massacre since.

mind you suicide has to be a lot more slow and painful.

Accidental gun deaths are 300% higher than the pre-1997 ban rate
The assault rate has increased 800% since 1991, and increased 200% since the 1997 gun ban.
Robbery and armed robbery have increase 20% from the pre-97 ban rate.
From immediately after the ban was instituted in 1997 through 2002, the robbery and armed robbery rate was up 200% over the pre-ban rates.
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 171 percent

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
oh wait... are you are one of those people who are convinced because you have been presented with misrepresented information?

if so then it is not your fault.

MrBigDick

Retired Moderator, PEGym Hero
Reaction score
You're a great armchair quarterback, but when you've been involved in not 1, or two, but THREE school shootings (Yes, I have) the idea of some nutjob rambo wanna be going to take out the "shooter" and hitting innocent people because he's operating on adrenaline and an entitlement complex isn't the most comforting.

I'm more afraid of the people like you who swear up and down that more guns save people. How about correct licensing of firearms to people who are stable.

There are always indicators of someone's mental disposition. Like I said, people who are gun nuts are likely the ones who wouldn't pass these psyche evaluations. they stink of conspiracy theory, paranoia, and mania.

Amen SBE!!!!!!!!

MrBigDick

Reaction score
Well, I don't plan on entering this debate. I, however, WILL answer the question posed: Who's responsibility is it to insure my safety and that of my family? Mine and mine alone and I plan on doing just that. I love my country but it's become very clear to me that the US of A intends on doing not a damn thing about gun violence, mental health or anything in between. So, rather than wait for Washington to enact legislation to counter act this senseless sh*t, I'll take matters into my own fucking hands......I've got a wife and 5 kids to think about and protect and I'm choosing to do that through education and knowing and being aware of their surroundings. Will that stop some insane 20 year old with a trigger happy finger and a loaded .22 from rolling up and snapping? no. But at least if I've done MY job in educating my kids, hopefully their guardian angel will be there to protect them.

sssssteve

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Who's responsibility is it to insure my safety and that of my family? Mine and mine alone and I plan on doing just that.

you cannot assume liability for your own safety while at the same time trying to deny others their own right to do so. that is what the debate is based on. and if you paid attention to the standing legislation, you would see that the current laws that are on the books are more than enough to have an impact on gun violence... if they were adequately enforced.
18 USC 922(d)(4) (d)It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
(1)is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2)is a fugitive from justice;
(3)is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4)has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
(5)who, being an alien—
(A)is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
(B)except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));
(6)who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that—
(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and
(B)
(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

This subsection shall not apply with respect to the sale or disposition of a firearm or ammunition to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector who pursuant to subsection (b) ofsection 925 of this chapter is not precluded from dealing in firearms or ammunition, or to a person who has been granted relief from disabilities pursuant to subsection (c) ofsection 925 of this chapter.
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

this is reflected in each states own legislation

ArizonaAriz. Rev. Stat. §§13-3101 -02, 13-925Arizona prohibits possession of a firearm by any person who:
  • Has been found to constitute a danger to himself or herself or others pursuant to court order under section 36-540, and whose right to possess a firearm has not been restored pursuant to section 13-925.
ArkansasArk. Code §5-73-103No person shall possess or own any firearm if he or she has been:
  • Adjudicated mentally ill; or
  • Committed involuntarily to any mental institution.
CaliforniaCal. Welfare and Inst. Code §§ 8100 - 8108A person is barred from possessing, purchasing, receiving, attempting to purchase or receive, or having control or custody of any firearms if the person:
  • Has been admitted to a facility and is receiving in-patient treatment for a mental illness and the attending mental health professional opines that the patient is a danger to self or others. This prohibition applies even if the person has consented to the treatment, although the prohibition ends as soon as the patient is discharged from the facility;
  • Has been adjudicated to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder or mental illness or has been adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender. This prohibition does not apply, however, if the court of adjudication issues, upon the individual’s release from treatment or at a later date, a certificate stating that the person may possess a firearm without endangering others;
  • Has been found not guilty by reason of insanity of enumerated violent felonies. A person who is found not guilty by reason of insanity of other crimes is barred from possessing firearms unless a court finds that the person has recovered his or her sanity;
  • Has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial, unless there is a subsequent finding that the person has become competent;
  • Is currently under a court-ordered conservatorship because he or she is gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder or impaired by chronic alcoholism

A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control, or purchase or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, any firearms whatsoever or any other deadly weapon for a period of six months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims. Licensed psychotherapists are required to immediately report to a local law enforcement agency the identity of a person who has communicated a serious threat of violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims (see § 8105(c)).
ConnecticutConn. Gen. Stat. § 53a-217ca person may not obtain a handgun eligibility certificate if he or she:
  • Has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime due to mental disease or defect pursuant tosection 53a-13;
  • Has been confined in a mental hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court.
DelawareDel. Code tit. 11, §1448Delaware prohibits the purchase, ownership, possession or control of a firearm or ammunition by any person:
  • Ever committed for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, unless the person possesses a certificate from a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in Delaware stating that the person is no longer suffering from a mental disorder which interferes or handicaps the person from handling deadly weapons.
District of ColumbiaD.C. Code § 7-2502.03To obtain a registration certificate, an applicant must pass a background check conducted by the Chief of Police (this is in addition to the NICS check required by Brady when purchasing from a federally licensed dealer). Section 7-2502.03 requires that the Chief confirm that the applicant:
  • Within the 5 years immediately preceding the application, has not been acquitted of any criminal charge by reason of insanity or has not been adjudicated a chronic alcoholic by any court;
  • Within the 5 years immediately preceding the application, has not been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to any mental hospital or institution.
FloridaFla. Stat. §790.065 and§790.06Follows federal law regarding gun sales.
Florida will not issue a license to carry a concealed weapon if the applicant:

• Has been committed to a mental institution underChapter 394, or similar laws of any other state, unless the applicant produces a certificate from a licensed psychiatrist stating that he or she has not suffered from disability for at least five years prior to the date of submission of the application.
GeorgiaGa. Code §16-11-129Licenses will not be issued to any person:
  • Who has been hospitalized as an inpatient in any mental hospital or alcohol or drug treatment center within five years of the date of his or her application.
HawaiiHaw. Rev. Stat. §134-7no person shall own, possess or control any firearm or ammunition if the person:
  • Has been acquitted of a crime on the grounds of mental disease, disorder, or defect; or is or has been diagnosed as having a significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorder, or for treatment for organic brain syndromes;
  • Is a minor who: 1) Is or has been under treatment for addiction to any dangerous drug, intoxicating compound, or intoxicating liquor; or 2) Has been determined not to have been responsible for a criminal act or has been committed to any institution on account of a mental disease, disorder, or defect; or
  • Is or has been diagnosed as having a significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorders as defined by the most current diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association or for treatment for organic brain syndromes
unless the person has been medically documented to be no longer adversely affected by the addiction, abuse, dependence, mental disease, disorder, or defect.
IdahoIdaho Code § 18-3302(1)A license to carry a concealed weapon shall be issued to an applicant unless he or she is currently suffering, or has been adjudicated as, based on substantial evidence:
  • Lacking mental capacity, per Idaho Code Ann. § 18-210;

• Mentally ill, per section 66-317;

• Gravely disabled, per section 66-317;

• An incapacitated person, per section 15-5-101(a).
IllinoisIll. Rev. Stat. ch. 720, §5/24-3.1A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or firearm ammunition when:
  • He has been a patient in a mental hospital within the past 5 years and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or
  • He is mentally retarded and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession.
IndianaInd. Code §35-47-2-7a person may not transfer a handgun to an individual who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
  • Is mentally incompetent.
IowaIowa Code §724.15Any person who acquires ownership of any pistol or revolver shall first obtain an annual permit. An annual permit shall be issued to any person unless:
  • Is prohibited by federal law from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm.
KansasKans. Stat. §21-4204prohibits any person from possessing a firearm if he or she:
  • Is or has been a mentally ill person subject to involuntary commitment for care and treatment as defined in section 59-2946, or a person with an alcohol or substance abuse problem subject to involuntary commitment for care and treatment as defined in section 59-29B46, unless he or she has received a "certificate of restoration."
LouisianaLa. Rev. Stat. §40:1379.3applicants must not:
  • Suffer from “mental or physical infirmity due to disease, illness, or retardation” which prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
  • have been adjudicated to be mentally deficient or been committed to a mental institution.
MaineMe. Rev. Stat. tit. 15, §393A person may not own, possess or have under that person's control a firearm if he or she has been convicted of committing, or found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing certain enumerated crimes.
MarylandMd. Pub. Safety Code § 5-133A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person:
  • suffers from a mental disorder as defined in § 10-101(f)(2) of the Health - General Article and has a history of violent behavior against the person or another, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;
  • has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10-101 of the Health - General Article, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another.
MassachusettsMass. Gen. Laws Ch. 140, §131A Class A or B license to carry a firearm may be issued, unless the applicant:
  • Has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits a physician’s affidavit attesting that he or she is familiar with the applicant and that the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that would prevent him or her from possessing a firearm
MichiganMich. Comp. Laws §28.422A person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

A person may qualify for a license if he or she:

• Has not been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated and is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness
MinnesotaMinn. Stat. § 624.713Prohibits firearm possession by a person who:
  • Is, or has ever been, confined to a treatment facility as a person who is mentally ill, mentally retarded or mentally ill and dangerous to the public, or who has ever been found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of mental illness, unless there is satisfactory proof that the person no longer suffers from this disability.
MississippiMiss. Stat. Rev. § 45-9-101A license to carry concealed handguns must be issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS), pursuant to section 45-9-101(2), if the applicant:
  • Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent, or has waited five years from the date of his or her restoration of mental capacity by court order;
  • Has not been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or mental health treatment facility unless he or she possesses a certificate from a psychiatrist licensed in Mississippi stating that he or she has not suffered from disability for a period of five years.
MissouriMo. Rev. Stat. §571.070A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and is currently adjudged as mentally incompetent.
MontanaMont. Code §45-8-321A permit to carry a concealed weapon may be denied to a person who:
  • Has been adjudicated in any state or federal court to be mentally ill, defective, or disabled, and remains subject to a disposition order.
NebraskaNeb. Rev. Stat. §69-2433an applicant for a permit to carry a concealed handgun must:
  • Not have been found in the previous ten years to be a mentally ill and dangerous person and not be currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
NevadaNev. Rev. Stat. §202.360Prohibits any person from owning or possessing a firearm if he or she:
  • Has been adjudicated mentally ill or has been committed to any mental health facility
New JerseyN.J. Rev. Stat. §2c:58-3No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:
  • to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently an habitual drunkard;
  • to any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic unless any of the foregoing persons produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms.
New MexicoN.M. Stat. §29-19-4The New Mexico Department of Public Safety shall issue a license to an applicant who:
  • Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
New YorkN.Y. Pen. Law §400.00; SB 2230 (2013)No person shall be issued a license to carry, possess or dispose of a firearm unless he or she:
  • Who has stated whether he or she has ever suffered any mental illness;
  • Who has not been involuntarily committed to a facility under the jurisdiction of an office of the department of mental hygiene pursuant to article nine or fifteen of the mental hygiene law, article seven hundred thirty or section 330.20 of the criminal procedure law, section four hundred two or five hundred eight of the correction law, section 322.2 or 353.4 of the family court act, or has not been civilly confined in a secure treatment facility pursuant to article ten of the mental hygiene law
North CarolinaN.C. Gen. Stat. §14-404no person may obtain a permit to purchase a handgun if he or she:
  • Has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or been committed to a mental institution
North DakotaN.D. Cent. Code §62.1-02A person who is or has ever been diagnosed and confined or committed to a hospital or other institution in this state or elsewhere by a court of competent jurisdiction, other than a person who has had the petition that provided the basis for the diagnosis, confinement, or commitment dismissed under section 25-03.1-17, 25-03.1-18, or 25-03.1-19, or equivalent statutes of another jurisdiction, as a mentally ill person as defined in section 25-03.1-02, or as a mentally deficient person as defined in section 25-01-01, is prohibited from purchasing a firearm or having one in possession or under control. This limitation does not apply to a person who has not suffered from the disability for the previous three years.
OhioOhio Rev. Stat. §2923.125No person shall acquire, have, carry or use any firearm if he or she:
  • Is under adjudication for mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, committed to a mental institution, found to be mentally ill subject to hospitalization by court order, or is an involuntary mentally ill patient.
OklahomaOkla. Stat. §21-1289.10Oklahoma prohibits knowingly transferring a firearm to:
  • A mentally or emotionally unbalanced person.
OregonO.R.S. §166.250No person shall possess a firearm if he or she:
  • Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;
  • Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or
  • Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.
PennsylvaniaPa. Con Stat. tit. 18, §6105(c)no person shall possess a firearm if
  • A person who has been adjudicated as incompetent or involuntarily committed to a mental institution;
Rhode IslandR.I. Gen. Laws §11-47-6No person who is under guardianship or treatment or confinement by virtue of being a mental incompetent, …shall purchase, own, carry, transport, or have in his or her possession or under his or her control any firearm. Any person affected by the provisions of this section, other than a person who has been pronounced criminally insane by competent medical authority, after the lapse of a period of five years from the date of being pronounced cured by competent medical authority, may, upon presentation of an affidavit issued by competent medical authority to the effect that he or she is a mentally stable person and a proper person to possess firearms, make application for the purchase of the firearm(s).
South CarolinaS.C. Code §§16-23-30, 44-23-1080no person shall possess or acquire a handgun if he or she:
  • Has been adjudicated mentally incompetent

In addition, patients and prisoners under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Mental Health may not have access to firearms.
South DakotaS.D. Codified Laws §23-7-7.1the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon if the applicant:
  • Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a “danger to others” or a “danger to self” as defined in section 27A-1-1, or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
TennesseeTenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351Permits will not be issued to any person who has not been adjudicated as a mental defective, has not been judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution pursuant to title 33, has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect, has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness, developmental disability or other mental incapacity, and has not, within seven years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in title 33, chapter 6, part 5, because of mental illness.
TexasTex. Gov’t Code §411.172A person is ineligible for a license to carry a concealed weapon if the person:
(1) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(2) suffers from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subdivision (1) that: (A) is in remission but is reasonably likely to redevelop at a future time; or (B) requires continuous medical treatment to avoid redevelopment;
(3) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician, determined by a review board or similar authority, or declared by a court to be incompetent to manage the person's own affairs; or
(4) has entered in a criminal proceeding a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by section (1), above:
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(A) schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B) bipolar disorder;
(C) chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect, or brain injury;
(D) dissociative identity disorder;
(E) intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F) antisocial personality disorder.
UtahUtah Code §53-5-704An individual over the age of 21 may be issued a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense, unless:
  • he has been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.
VirginiaVa. Code §§18.2-308.1:2-:3Prohibits the:
  • Purchase, possession or transportation of any firearm by any person adjudicated "legally incompetent," "mentally incapacitated," or "incapacitated," whose competency or capacity has not been restored
  • Purchase, possession or transportation of a firearm by a person who has been involuntarily committed, during the period of commitment
WashingtonWash. Rev. Code §9.41.040no person may own, possess, or have in his or her control any firearm, if that person:
  • Has been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment, and their right to own a firearm has not been restored.
West VirginiaW. Va. Code §61-7-7No person shall possess a firearm if he or she
  • Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
WisconsinWis. Stat. §941.29DOJ shall not approve any handgun transfer:
  • Found not guilty of a felony in Wisconsin by reason of mental disease or defect;
  • Found not guilty or not responsible for a crime elsewhere that would be a felony in Wisconsin by reason of insanity or mental disease, defect or illness;
  • Committed to a treatment facility (because the individual is mentally ill, drug dependent or developmentally disabled) and ordered not to possess a firearm.
WyomingWyo. Stat. §6-8-404To possess a personal firearm, a firearm accessory or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Wyoming and that remains exclusively within the borders of Wyoming, a person shall:
  • Not currently be adjudicated to be legally incompetent; and
  • Not have been committed to a mental institution.

Last edited:

BigRooster

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2018, PEG
Reaction score
SBE. Whatever happened to the Rambo raging shooter at the school(s)?

MrBigDick

Reaction score

you cannot assume liability for your own safety while at the same time trying to deny others their own right to do so. that is what the debate is based on. and if you paid attention to the standing legislation, you would see that the current laws that are on the books are more than enough to have an impact on gun violence... if they were adequately enforced.
18 USC 922(d)(4) (d)It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
(1)is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(3)is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4)has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
(5)who, being an alien—
(B)except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));
(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that—
(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and
(B)
(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

This subsection shall not apply with respect to the sale or disposition of a firearm or ammunition to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector who pursuant to subsection (b) ofsection 925 of this chapter is not precluded from dealing in firearms or ammunition, or to a person who has been granted relief from disabilities pursuant to subsection (c) ofsection 925 of this chapter.
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

ArizonaAriz. Rev. Stat. §§13-3101 -02, 13-925Arizona prohibits possession of a firearm by any person who:
  • Has been found to constitute a danger to himself or herself or others pursuant to court order under section 36-540, and whose right to possess a firearm has not been restored pursuant to section 13-925.
ArkansasArk. Code §5-73-103No person shall possess or own any firearm if he or she has been:
CaliforniaCal. Welfare and Inst. Code §§ 8100 - 8108A person is barred from possessing, purchasing, receiving, attempting to purchase or receive, or having control or custody of any firearms if the person:
  • Has been admitted to a facility and is receiving in-patient treatment for a mental illness and the attending mental health professional opines that the patient is a danger to self or others. This prohibition applies even if the person has consented to the treatment, although the prohibition ends as soon as the patient is discharged from the facility;
  • Has been adjudicated to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder or mental illness or has been adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender. This prohibition does not apply, however, if the court of adjudication issues, upon the individual’s release from treatment or at a later date, a certificate stating that the person may possess a firearm without endangering others;
  • Has been found not guilty by reason of insanity of enumerated violent felonies. A person who is found not guilty by reason of insanity of other crimes is barred from possessing firearms unless a court finds that the person has recovered his or her sanity;
  • Has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial, unless there is a subsequent finding that the person has become competent;
  • Is currently under a court-ordered conservatorship because he or she is gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder or impaired by chronic alcoholism

A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control, or purchase or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, any firearms whatsoever or any other deadly weapon for a period of six months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims. Licensed psychotherapists are required to immediately report to a local law enforcement agency the identity of a person who has communicated a serious threat of violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims (see § 8105(c)).
ConnecticutConn. Gen. Stat. § 53a-217ca person may not obtain a handgun eligibility certificate if he or she:
  • Has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime due to mental disease or defect pursuant tosection 53a-13;
  • Has been confined in a mental hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court.
DelawareDel. Code tit. 11, §1448Delaware prohibits the purchase, ownership, possession or control of a firearm or ammunition by any person:
  • Ever committed for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, unless the person possesses a certificate from a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in Delaware stating that the person is no longer suffering from a mental disorder which interferes or handicaps the person from handling deadly weapons.
District of ColumbiaD.C. Code § 7-2502.03To obtain a registration certificate, an applicant must pass a background check conducted by the Chief of Police (this is in addition to the NICS check required by Brady when purchasing from a federally licensed dealer). Section 7-2502.03 requires that the Chief confirm that the applicant:
  • Within the 5 years immediately preceding the application, has not been acquitted of any criminal charge by reason of insanity or has not been adjudicated a chronic alcoholic by any court;
  • Within the 5 years immediately preceding the application, has not been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to any mental hospital or institution.

• Has been committed to a mental institution underChapter 394, or similar laws of any other state, unless the applicant produces a certificate from a licensed psychiatrist stating that he or she has not suffered from disability for at least five years prior to the date of submission of the application.
  • Who has been hospitalized as an inpatient in any mental hospital or alcohol or drug treatment center within five years of the date of his or her application.
HawaiiHaw. Rev. Stat. §134-7no person shall own, possess or control any firearm or ammunition if the person:
  • Has been acquitted of a crime on the grounds of mental disease, disorder, or defect; or is or has been diagnosed as having a significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorder, or for treatment for organic brain syndromes;
  • Is a minor who: 1) Is or has been under treatment for addiction to any dangerous drug, intoxicating compound, or intoxicating liquor; or 2) Has been determined not to have been responsible for a criminal act or has been committed to any institution on account of a mental disease, disorder, or defect; or
  • Is or has been diagnosed as having a significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorders as defined by the most current diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association or for treatment for organic brain syndromes
unless the person has been medically documented to be no longer adversely affected by the addiction, abuse, dependence, mental disease, disorder, or defect.
IdahoIdaho Code § 18-3302(1)A license to carry a concealed weapon shall be issued to an applicant unless he or she is currently suffering, or has been adjudicated as, based on substantial evidence:

IllinoisIll. Rev. Stat. ch. 720, §5/24-3.1A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or firearm ammunition when:
  • He has been a patient in a mental hospital within the past 5 years and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or
  • He is mentally retarded and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession.
IndianaInd. Code §35-47-2-7a person may not transfer a handgun to an individual who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
IowaIowa Code §724.15Any person who acquires ownership of any pistol or revolver shall first obtain an annual permit. An annual permit shall be issued to any person unless:
  • Is prohibited by federal law from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm.
KansasKans. Stat. §21-4204prohibits any person from possessing a firearm if he or she:
  • Is or has been a mentally ill person subject to involuntary commitment for care and treatment as defined in section 59-2946, or a person with an alcohol or substance abuse problem subject to involuntary commitment for care and treatment as defined in section 59-29B46, unless he or she has received a "certificate of restoration."
  • Suffer from “mental or physical infirmity due to disease, illness, or retardation” which prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
  • have been adjudicated to be mentally deficient or been committed to a mental institution.
MaineMe. Rev. Stat. tit. 15, §393A person may not own, possess or have under that person's control a firearm if he or she has been convicted of committing, or found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing certain enumerated crimes.
MarylandMd. Pub. Safety Code § 5-133A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person:
  • suffers from a mental disorder as defined in § 10-101(f)(2) of the Health - General Article and has a history of violent behavior against the person or another, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;
  • has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10-101 of the Health - General Article, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another.
MassachusettsMass. Gen. Laws Ch. 140, §131A Class A or B license to carry a firearm may be issued, unless the applicant:
  • Has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits a physician’s affidavit attesting that he or she is familiar with the applicant and that the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that would prevent him or her from possessing a firearm
MichiganMich. Comp. Laws §28.422A person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

• Has not been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated and is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness
  • Is, or has ever been, confined to a treatment facility as a person who is mentally ill, mentally retarded or mentally ill and dangerous to the public, or who has ever been found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of mental illness, unless there is satisfactory proof that the person no longer suffers from this disability.
MississippiMiss. Stat. Rev. § 45-9-101A license to carry concealed handguns must be issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS), pursuant to section 45-9-101(2), if the applicant:
  • Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent, or has waited five years from the date of his or her restoration of mental capacity by court order;
  • Has not been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or mental health treatment facility unless he or she possesses a certificate from a psychiatrist licensed in Mississippi stating that he or she has not suffered from disability for a period of five years.
MissouriMo. Rev. Stat. §571.070A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and is currently adjudged as mentally incompetent.
MontanaMont. Code §45-8-321A permit to carry a concealed weapon may be denied to a person who:
  • Has been adjudicated in any state or federal court to be mentally ill, defective, or disabled, and remains subject to a disposition order.
NebraskaNeb. Rev. Stat. §69-2433an applicant for a permit to carry a concealed handgun must:
  • Not have been found in the previous ten years to be a mentally ill and dangerous person and not be currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
NevadaNev. Rev. Stat. §202.360Prohibits any person from owning or possessing a firearm if he or she:
  • Has been adjudicated mentally ill or has been committed to any mental health facility
New JerseyN.J. Rev. Stat. §2c:58-3No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:
  • to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently an habitual drunkard;
  • to any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic unless any of the foregoing persons produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms.
New MexicoN.M. Stat. §29-19-4The New Mexico Department of Public Safety shall issue a license to an applicant who:
  • Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
New YorkN.Y. Pen. Law §400.00; SB 2230 (2013)No person shall be issued a license to carry, possess or dispose of a firearm unless he or she:
  • Who has not been involuntarily committed to a facility under the jurisdiction of an office of the department of mental hygiene pursuant to article nine or fifteen of the mental hygiene law, article seven hundred thirty or section 330.20 of the criminal procedure law, section four hundred two or five hundred eight of the correction law, section 322.2 or 353.4 of the family court act, or has not been civilly confined in a secure treatment facility pursuant to article ten of the mental hygiene law
North CarolinaN.C. Gen. Stat. §14-404no person may obtain a permit to purchase a handgun if he or she:
  • Has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or been committed to a mental institution
North DakotaN.D. Cent. Code §62.1-02A person who is or has ever been diagnosed and confined or committed to a hospital or other institution in this state or elsewhere by a court of competent jurisdiction, other than a person who has had the petition that provided the basis for the diagnosis, confinement, or commitment dismissed under section 25-03.1-17, 25-03.1-18, or 25-03.1-19, or equivalent statutes of another jurisdiction, as a mentally ill person as defined in section 25-03.1-02, or as a mentally deficient person as defined in section 25-01-01, is prohibited from purchasing a firearm or having one in possession or under control. This limitation does not apply to a person who has not suffered from the disability for the previous three years.
OhioOhio Rev. Stat. §2923.125No person shall acquire, have, carry or use any firearm if he or she:
  • Is under adjudication for mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, committed to a mental institution, found to be mentally ill subject to hospitalization by court order, or is an involuntary mentally ill patient.
OklahomaOkla. Stat. §21-1289.10Oklahoma prohibits knowingly transferring a firearm to:
  • Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or
  • A person who has been adjudicated as incompetent or involuntarily committed to a mental institution;
Rhode IslandR.I. Gen. Laws §11-47-6No person who is under guardianship or treatment or confinement by virtue of being a mental incompetent, …shall purchase, own, carry, transport, or have in his or her possession or under his or her control any firearm. Any person affected by the provisions of this section, other than a person who has been pronounced criminally insane by competent medical authority, after the lapse of a period of five years from the date of being pronounced cured by competent medical authority, may, upon presentation of an affidavit issued by competent medical authority to the effect that he or she is a mentally stable person and a proper person to possess firearms, make application for the purchase of the firearm(s).
South CarolinaS.C. Code §§16-23-30, 44-23-1080no person shall possess or acquire a handgun if he or she:

In addition, patients and prisoners under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Mental Health may not have access to firearms.
South DakotaS.D. Codified Laws §23-7-7.1the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon if the applicant:
  • Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a “danger to others” or a “danger to self” as defined in section 27A-1-1, or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
TennesseeTenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351Permits will not be issued to any person who has not been adjudicated as a mental defective, has not been judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution pursuant to title 33, has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect, has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness, developmental disability or other mental incapacity, and has not, within seven years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in title 33, chapter 6, part 5, because of mental illness.
TexasTex. Gov’t Code §411.172A person is ineligible for a license to carry a concealed weapon if the person:
(1) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(2) suffers from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subdivision (1) that: (A) is in remission but is reasonably likely to redevelop at a future time; or (B) requires continuous medical treatment to avoid redevelopment;
(3) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician, determined by a review board or similar authority, or declared by a court to be incompetent to manage the person's own affairs; or
(4) has entered in a criminal proceeding a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by section (1), above:
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(B) bipolar disorder;
UtahUtah Code §53-5-704An individual over the age of 21 may be issued a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense, unless:
  • he has been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.
  • Purchase, possession or transportation of any firearm by any person adjudicated "legally incompetent," "mentally incapacitated," or "incapacitated," whose competency or capacity has not been restored
  • Purchase, possession or transportation of a firearm by a person who has been involuntarily committed, during the period of commitment
WashingtonWash. Rev. Code §9.41.040no person may own, possess, or have in his or her control any firearm, if that person:
  • Has been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment, and their right to own a firearm has not been restored.
  • Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
  • Found not guilty of a felony in Wisconsin by reason of mental disease or defect;
  • Found not guilty or not responsible for a crime elsewhere that would be a felony in Wisconsin by reason of insanity or mental disease, defect or illness;
  • Committed to a treatment facility (because the individual is mentally ill, drug dependent or developmentally disabled) and ordered not to possess a firearm.
WyomingWyo. Stat. §6-8-404To possess a personal firearm, a firearm accessory or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Wyoming and that remains exclusively within the borders of Wyoming, a person shall:

I'm not denying anyone their right to do anything. I'm looking out for me and mine...........period and end of story.

MrBigDick

Reaction score

(5)who, being an alien—
(B)

(B) bipolar disorder;

I'm not denying anyone their right to do anything. I'm looking out for me and mine...........period and end of story.