Thoughts on Charleston

Party

Senior Member, Member of the Month August 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
Nite everyone. Great conversation. Love you all Keep it coming. Love it.

Party

Well Done !
Reaction score

Party

Well Done !
Reaction score

Oh wait, never mind. Your government has already made THAT choice for you , whew. Luck to be you What other decisions do you let government make for you? So safe you must feel.

Tamora

Retired Super Moderator, Member of the Month Aug
Reaction score
It would be nice to pretend that we might all consider this and other instances from a logical point of view.

Culture:
US is different than any country in the world; the primary reason is because every country in the world is different from every other country; despite their seemingly similarities to outsiders. A good way to get your ass kicked by a mob of Thai men is to tell them they appear to be Cambodian; though I'll be damned to tell the difference.

One major factor about America, however, is it was founded upon, to a large degree, the idea that those who govern do so at the consent of the governed. Unlike all of the countries in Europe and Asia, Americans were not brought up under a culture heavily influenced by the concept of a divine ruler (King/queen, emperor, pharaoh etc.), blah, blah, blah...

That's very eloquent...but the American constitution is based upon the foundations of the Magna Carta (as are many others) and nobles certainly don't govern the United Kingdom and haven't for centuries! Their powers have been diminished to almost nothing by the British Constitution and are basically told what to say in constitutional affairs by the politicians.

Thanks for the history lesson...but with all due respect...what the hell has that got to do with innocent people losing their lives with some nutter with a gun?

Park Lib

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Men have been enslaving eachother for centuries, ever heard of serfs, not the blue funny creatures , that smurfs, serfs. Still going on by the way. What ya wanna do to stop it? Wanna go to war? You gonna go? I will if you do. Do ya like that. Back in the old country 300 years or so my family members were serfs, so were yours. Who do we see about that? Did you get over it? I did. Point being , people are bad to eachother sometimes. What would Jesus do? We ALL thru him under the bus, and he forgives us everyday.

Yep time is indeed the great healer. 300 years? Okay, maybe people would have gotten over it by 2263 :) I'm over it really but yeah best to solve your own problems than blaming others. Totally agree with that one.

longerlastingnoob

Senior Member, Member of the Month Jan 2015
Well Done !
Reaction score
Place that "deadly weapon" on the floor and watch how many people it kills.

Then tell me again how it is not ignorant to fear the inanimate object.
Place it on the floor of your living room where your kids play, out on the road in the middle of the street, yes it's inanimate, we all know that, "guns don't kill people do". Nobody is saying a gun is going to grow legs, walk down the road and start shooting people. But they are designed to shoot people.

Party

Well Done !
Reaction score
Yep time is indeed the great healer. 300 years? Okay, maybe people would have gotten over it by 2263 :) I'm over it really but yeah best to solve your own problems than blaming others. Totally agree with that one.

the US. Has an interesting problem when it comes to slavery. Masser,,was white , so am I , slaves were black. Serfs were white, so were their masters. As long as the politicians want to gain power using black vs white there will be no healing.

BigRooster

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2018, PEG
Reaction score
Your really going to be in the woods with a militia fighting against our government?

Apparently voting doesn't seem to be working. So yeah if it comes to that. Not only woods but wherever. What about you?

longerlastingnoob

Well Done !
Reaction score
Oh wait, never mind. Your government has already made THAT choice for you , whew. Luck to be you What other decisions do you let government make for you? So safe you must feel.
Let?

namsokiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has been suggested that easy access to guns might have prevented this crazy guy from killing these people. ta53ora suggests that it would take more planning to build a bomb than to spray a room with bullets (#18) but this is an extremely poor comparison. It attempts to compare all the effort to build, arm, transport and detonate the bomb to the effort it takes to pull the trigger of a gun; ignoring the effort it took to obtain the gun. Either you need to consider all the work it took to move from a weaponless person through to the action of murder, or you need to consider only the action that sent projectiles flying towards living being that caused their deaths.

Given the easy access to bomb building instructions online and the readily availability of the supplies to the casual shopper. Building the bomb is pretty damn easy. Compare that to finding a gun for purchase, arranging to effect the transaction, and perhaps purchasing the ammunition for the gun. Getting a gun is somewhat easy, however, if you're buying it from someone who got it from a store (and had to register it) they are personally interested in you registering it etc. So, let's say they are almost equally accessible.

Now, let's talk about employing the weapon. That particular gun requires close proximity, being witnessed and special planning to have a reason to be within close proximity. This is a bit hard depending on the target. Being an open bible study made it easy, but being the only white dud surely raised some unasked questions. The bomb, however, could have been positioned earlier, in passing, or worn. Many more options. I don't believe that either was easier to employ.

Finally firing the projectiles. Gun; single projectile, single path/trigger pull, multiple changes of sight picture and multiple pulling of the trigger. Bomb; one push and you're done. The bomb is clearly easier.

When examining the effort to plan, prepare, and execute a mass homicide, the bomb has the potential to be easier than a gun.

Remember, mass murderer's do not go to the handgun vending machine, swipe their card, get a handgun with 8 magazines full of ammunition, and then casually walk to the closes "gun-free zone". Every investigation shows the murder(s) planning window was sufficient to build and employ a bomb.

longerlastingnoob

Well Done !
Reaction score

Tamora

Retired Super Moderator, Member of the Month Aug
Reaction score

Actually, I feel extremely safe knowing that I can walk down the road in a crowd and hardly anyone has a gun concealed on their person. If some fucker wants to come at me with a knife then I'll take my chances, if he comes at me with a gun then see you later...:bolt:

BigRooster

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2018, PEG
Reaction score
My thoughts: I think some of you have it all wrong. In the US, for the majority of gun owners, (and almost all who have it legally), one of the reasons that they have guns in the first place is to be able to protect their families and other people around them from those who are up to no good. And, actually, I think if you tried to take them away, it would be the weaker members of society that would have an issue. Ex: if an elderly woman cannot defend herself physcially, she can usually do so with a firearm. But if that firearm is taken away, she will have no means to prevent crime directed at her. Yes, some people use them for terrible purposes, but overall, most gun owners use their firearms to DETER crime. I think it all comes down to the person on how they choose to use it.

I think I posted this on another thread on the same topic of guns. I like it so I'll post it again.

An elderly lady in Texas her purse got snatched. She always kept her hand in the purse. Well she shot the snatcher. In court the judge asked the lady. Why did you shoot the perp six times. Well your honor when I pulled the trigger the seventh time the gun went click.

So one good little sweet lady lives to see another day.

longerlastingnoob

Well Done !
Reaction score
It has been suggested that easy access to guns might have prevented this crazy guy from killing these people. ta53ora suggests that it would take more planning to build a bomb than to spray a room with bullets (#18) but this is an extremely poor comparison. It attempts to compare all the effort to build, arm, transport and detonate the bomb to the effort it takes to pull the trigger of a gun; ignoring the effort it took to obtain the gun. Either you need to consider all the work it took to move from a weaponless person through to the action of murder, or you need to consider only the action that sent projectiles flying towards living being that caused their deaths.

Given the easy access to bomb building instructions online and the readily availability of the supplies to the casual shopper. Building the bomb is pretty damn easy. Compare that to finding a gun for purchase, arranging to effect the transaction, and perhaps purchasing the ammunition for the gun. Getting a gun is somewhat easy, however, if you're buying it from someone who got it from a store (and had to register it) they are personally interested in you registering it etc. So, let's say they are almost equally accessible.

Now, let's talk about employing the weapon. That particular gun requires close proximity, being witnessed and special planning to have a reason to be within close proximity. This is a bit hard depending on the target. Being an open bible study made it easy, but being the only white dud surely raised some unasked questions. The bomb, however, could have been positioned earlier, in passing, or worn. Many more options. I don't believe that either was easier to employ.

Finally firing the projectiles. Gun; single projectile, single path/trigger pull, multiple changes of sight picture and multiple pulling of the trigger. Bomb; one push and you're done. The bomb is clearly easier.

When examining the effort to plan, prepare, and execute a mass homicide, the bomb has the potential to be easier than a gun.

Remember, mass murderer's do not go to the handgun vending machine, swipe their card, get a handgun with 8 magazines full of ammunition, and then casually walk to the closes "gun-free zone". Every investigation shows the murder(s) planning window was sufficient to build and employ a bomb.

Nonsense. A kid can walk into a room, stumble across his dad's loaded gun. Walk up to a kid and shoot him. Simple.

namsokiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's very eloquent...but the American constitution is based upon the foundations of the Magna Carta (as are many others) and nobles certainly don't govern the United Kingdom and haven't for centuries! Their powers have been diminished to almost nothing by the British Constitution and are basically told what to say in constitutional affairs by the politicians.

Thanks for the history lesson...but with all due respect...what the hell has that got to do with innocent people losing their lives with some nutter with a gun?
This is a multi-level approach to your inconsistently applied assumptions that are the foundation of your arguments. People often wonder why some American's love the right to own a gun. Quite like a lot of American's wonder why some in the UK are so enamored about the Royal family, a lineage rife with inbreeding and violence yet revered and beloved well beyond their contribution to society.

My post is an attempt to help you understand why we love the "right to bear arms". No one has bothered to explain the love of the royals to me.

longerlastingnoob

Well Done !
Reaction score
This sounds a Tom Cruise movie . Convict before the crime is committed. They are coming for you right now Noob

Convict before the crime is committed.
If that's the case so are you by having a gun in the first place. ( I know you don't ).

longerlastingnoob

Well Done !
Reaction score
Please show me where party said a convicted murder could own a gun.
He said everyone should have the right.
I asked him " so everyone should have these rights, even proven murderers"
"He said yes, why not? Innocent until proven guilty"
I said no proven murderers.

I know convicted murderers cannot posess guns, I was trying to make my point that not everyone deserves this right. That's my original point, stricter law, background checks on people, families, more extensive procedures put in place for people who want to own a gun.