Wisdom Teeth Pulled

slunk

Senior Member, Member of the Month July 2017
Well Done !
Reaction score
I had two wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. Everyone told me it's really painful afterwards but the only pain I feel is a mild discomfort when I open my mouth to eat.

I kind of wish I had just gotten all 4 taken out, but it is nice to be able to chew on one side.

Any of you have a similar or worse experience?

TheZZMan

Moderator, Member of the Month Sept 2018, PEGym H
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
I've had all 4 removed and never had any pain. Everyone is different and some have a very low threshold for pain, so they prepare you for the worst. Be happy that you are having a good experience. Keep the area clean and pack with wadding if it continues to bleed.

HansTwilight

Retired Moderator, PE Gym Editor, Member of the M
Reaction score
The younger you get them done the better. I got them done after high school and was fine. My dad got them done when he was 60 and still has some problems.

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score
The bleeding stopped 2 hours after I left so that's nothing to worry about. Hopefully when I get the left side done it works out just as well.

On another note, why are dental assistants always so beautiful? I've been to 3 dental offices in my area, all the assistants are women and all of them are extremely good looking.

TheAnimal220

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Got them pulled last year. One side first, other side about a month later. Because of the anaesthetics one side of your mouth is probably numb for the first day and if that were on both sides you'd probably choke on everything you eat... Also looking like a hamster with its mouth full isn't very appealing.

My wounds bled for days afterwards. First one I was stupid enough to 'suck' some blood and spit it out and apparently sucked out the clot so that was a party. Woke up next morning and thought I had been stabbed in the mouth...

closed224

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2014, Feb
Well Done !
Reaction score
Yeah dry socket is awful. I had all 4 done at the same time. Surgery was required as I had 4 roots per tooth. I woke up during the surgery and had to be given extra anathesia. It was a very trying experience. Very big ugly teeth. Very big ugly mess of my mouth and face.

Dangler

Sr. Admin, ΦWizardΦ, White Tiger Award 2015
Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Dental repairs costing what they do these days...one of the best investments you can buy is a Water Pik type of cleaner. The food particles wedged between the tooth surface & the gum is what causes you problems.

Also handy (when set on 'gentle') in keeping the socket (where the tooth was) free of food.

Jaw Breaker

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I had all 4 removed and I also had 4 extra impacted sideways teeth behind those, so I had 8 teeth pulled that day. It was excruciating. I'm glad you didn't experience anything too bad.

Dental repairs costing what they do these days...one of the best investments you can buy is a Water Pik type of cleaner. The food particles wedged between the tooth surface & the gum is what causes you problems.
After switching to a Sonicare, I haven't had a cavity in 15 years. Flossing and mouthwash also help a lot ... and occasionally using a tongue scraper. There's a lot of nasty bacteria that can build up on the tongue and it's generally where most bad breath originates. If you've never used a tongue scraper, the first few uses are absolutely disgusting, but it makes you realize what's been on your tongue. After that it's not gross anymore.

Last edited:

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score
Got them pulled last year. One side first, other side about a month later. Because of the anaesthetics one side of your mouth is probably numb for the first day and if that were on both sides you'd probably choke on everything you eat... Also looking like a hamster with its mouth full isn't very appealing.

My wounds bled for days afterwards. First one I was stupid enough to 'suck' some blood and spit it out and apparently sucked out the clot so that was a party. Woke up next morning and thought I had been stabbed in the mouth...

I've heard dry socket is awful. Be the foolish man I am, I'm still smoking though, haha. I put a gauze over the wounds and rinse some water in my mouth, that way no suction gets to them. Also pulling really and not smoking as much as usual though.

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score
Yeah dry socket is awful. I had all 4 done at the same time. Surgery was required as I had 4 roots per tooth. I woke up during the surgery and had to be given extra anathesia. It was a very trying experience. Very big ugly teeth. Very big ugly mess of my mouth and face.

I actually went with Novocaine. My procedure wasn't as intense as yours though and I don't like the idea of being sedated in a room full of strangers.

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score

Also handy (when set on 'gentle') in keeping the socket (where the tooth was) free of food.

The doc gave me a prescribed mouth wash. Never heard of a Water Pik. It does seem easier than flossing though.

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score
I had all 4 removed and I also had 4 extra impacted sideways teeth behind those, so I had 8 teeth pulled that day. It was excruciating. I'm glad you didn't experience anything too bad.

8 teeth pulled? If I had gone through that, my original post would have been written a tad differently, haha.

I used to use a tongue scraper, it was a good habit I should start again, except I gag really bad even just brushing my tongue.

Dangler

Sr. Admin, ΦWizardΦ, White Tiger Award 2015
Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
try google for water pic. worth every penny versus paying dental repairs.

simple flossing gadgets are very handy,
here is the Oral-B Glide, easy one handed flossing.

068305686312_1.jpg

Jaw Breaker

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
8 teeth pulled? If I had gone through that, my original post would have been written a tad differently, haha.

I used to use a tongue scraper, it was a good habit I should start again, except I gag really bad even just brushing my tongue.
When I was younger I had shark mouth. I've probably had 10 extra adult teeth pulled. I've had every dental procedure from laser gum surgery to head gear. It's been a long road to straight, pearly whites.

simple flossing gadgets are very handy,
here is the Oral-B Glide, easy one handed flossing.

View attachment 88473
That could reduce my 15 second flossing time down to like ... 12. :eek:

TheGreatDivider

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2015
Well Done !
Reaction score
I had all four wisdom teeth removed when I was sixteen. I missed a week of high school, was high on pain killers the entire time, couldn't eat solid food for over a week, and slept for days at a time. I never want to go through that ever again.

What was funny about that experence was I was so high I watched over four hours of the worst British comedy before realizing it wasn't funny. It wasn't even Monty Python, it was just two men in drag acting like women.... I think I might have also watched a Doctor Who marathon as well but have no memories of the episodes.

slunk

Well Done !
Reaction score
I had all four wisdom teeth removed when I was sixteen. I missed a week of high school, was high on pain killers the entire time, couldn't eat solid food for over a week, and slept for days at a time. I never want to go through that ever again.

What was funny about that experence was I was so high I watched over four hours of the worst British comedy before realizing it wasn't funny. It wasn't even Monty Python, it was just two men in drag acting like women.... I think I might have also watched a Doctor Who marathon as well but have no memories of the episodes.

It's funny how we sometimes can look back on a painful experience and laugh about it. Glad it worked out for you.

ClaireChurchilly

Growing Posts (LTT)
Growing ! (ltt)
Reaction score
I think it's much better without them. I had them removed last year with no issues. The only problem with our dentists nowadays though is that they don't pay that much attention to the aesthetics of their work as they should. It would be great if there was a regulation about such things. I had a tooth broken and when I went to a reputable doctor around the area I live he didn't make it look appealing. I'm thinking of getting teeth whitening done soon and I'll be looking for someone with an aesthetics training courses for dentists in order to get the best result.

Last edited:

CUSP82

Administrator PEGym
Staff member
Excellent !
Well Done !
Reaction score
Good for you.:mad:

karenfishers

Growing Posts (LTT)
Growing ! (ltt)
Reaction score
Wow, this must be painful. My older son also had his wisdom teeth removed last year. He was in such pain. I am lucky that my teeth are ok, and they don't need any medical intervention. But if you don't, my question, what dental clinic you are using. Personally, I am using the services of the Perfect Smile Dental Clinic right now. But next month we are moving to Utah, and I am looking for a good Dental Clinic there. In case you have any suggestions, feel free to text me. I will be grateful.

Last edited:

tara123

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Ive had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. The top ones popped out like corks. The bottom ones had L shaped roots so weren't so kind.

No pain afterwards.