To Warp Those Little "Gym Rat" Brains..

master-gauge

Senior Member, Member of the Month May 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
Hi, just thought I would post this for y'all for discussion before gettin' liquored tonight, lol.. Happy New Years!! :party:

It's a little discussion on BF %'s and the fact the test are inaccurate..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrllUxAr1_g

Tamora

Retired Super Moderator, Member of the Month Aug
Reaction score
You're not gonna try and make me think are ya?

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
Lol nope.. :rolleyes: More or less what I've been telling my lil brother for awhile now.. Water weight and genetics for the BF%.. U can't guess it..

akaTrex

Senior Member, Member of the Month Jan 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
A man or woman's accuracy guesstimating BF% or Dick Size . . . .

LOL!

TheGreatDivider

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2015
Well Done !
Reaction score
Lol nope.. :rolleyes: More or less what I've been telling my lil brother for awhile now.. Water weight and genetics for the BF%.. U can't guess it..
Those guys are masters at manipulating subcutaneous water and salt, dehydration, and pumping up just in time for a photo shoot. Looking at their pics they look lean and shredded but they're only like that for a few hours after weeks of prepping.

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
^^ @ the TGD, nailed 'er good sir.. I concur that.. Diuretics, and sauna suits too a few hours before.. I always say if a simple pinch tester of 15% u have the world by the ass and that is awesome!! It's all anyone ever really needs to read, between that and 20%.. The thing is too they even admit it can't be "maintained".. I want maintainable weight that say yes, u can look a little bit cut for say a vaca to the Caribbean or something similar..

TheGreatDivider

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2015
Well Done !
Reaction score
There are some that can maintain it through IF and daily exercise, but it's their job. The rest of us will be lucky if we ever cut down to below 12% for a little while in the summer. And that's still a bit of a stretch because the average BF% for men in america is around 18-24% with above 22% being obese.

Party

Senior Member, Member of the Month August 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
Well, I'll probably be asleep by nine, so no issues. But the wife had been my designated driver for years. Back in the day, she'd have a few before we were steady and go home with someone else, ugh.

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
Not this cat, my goal is about 15%.. Lol, party I'm drinking now, haha.. :party::peace:

Pegasus

Administrator, PE Gym Editor, PEGym Hero; ,
Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Ok first off the 2 tests on there that have value are dexa and hydrostatic so forget the rest .

Second like he says both dexa and hydrostatic will measure visceral fat so that is fat around your organs that is not visible . So the differences between the "models" visually was explained by visceral fat which is not visible to the naked eye .

Pegasus

Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Ok so the take home I get is that forgetting stage preparation bodybuilding stuff is that 7-10% is a very good maintainable level for a young gym junkie . Ok fine and I have been that guy and had virtually no fat pad through my teen and 20's. However for guys to say keep your fat pad small by being singe digit bf% lifetime is just not reasonable .

Pegasus

Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
As an aside when I was a judo coached I got one of my students to do 2 different skin caliper bf% tests the same day both by degree qualified gym instructors . They came in at 8% and 12% bf.

akaTrex

Well Done !
Reaction score
Hydrostatic will measure visceral fat, but is not visible due to the type of testing.

closed224

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2014, Feb
Well Done !
Reaction score
The visceral fat around my organs extends clear out into the visible light spectrum. I am viscerally obese;). I am however working on that.

Pegasus

Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Hydrostatic will measure visceral fat, but is not visible due to the type of testing.

Yes so will dexa . Thus some of the visible difference with the same bf% is down to one guy having more visceral bf than another.

everydaynormalguy

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2017
Well Done !
Reaction score
Some people on my experience can eat a lot of junk and still having visual abs and still having hard time gaining muscles and weight but staying lean.When I was skinny during my teenage years I was eating everything and there was no weight increese.Now is a different story.I don`t care so much about BF %.It metters the most how you are looking.I think that most of the big powerlifters got less BF % even if they look fat.Look at Scot Mendelson for example..he looks fat,with big belly but he still got abs on the belly and I think his BF % is much smaller then mine even if he is looking more fat then me on first look.

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
^^^The high metabolism of youth, lol.. I was one of the those everyday.. I was around a fair amount of the "big ol farm boys" that pumped iron too, and I agree they are not fat at all for the most part.. IF they were to go Keto diet etc. They would be monsters getting down to sub 10%.. But some them would suffer a bit being that heavily muscled and needing some sugar, lol.. This is where the idea for the "Hulk" must have came from?? :rolleyes: I would say some were 15% as it was though they looking a bit more then that..

I use to eat whatever I wanted powerlifting myself, unless I needed to make weight and that only needed to be done twice.. Why deprive when it's not needed?? Now I wish I had a little.. There is a small tire that needs to go..

akaTrex

Well Done !
Reaction score
A weird observation . . . I went to my 40th High School Reunion and only guys and gals that were still in shape were the ex track team members. My 4 x 400 meter team did a group photo and it was amazing. A bunch of 57+ year old guys and not a one with a belly. I have added quite a bit of muscle since those's days but interesting none the less.

Again an unscientific observation.

closed224

Senior Member, Member of the Month Dec 2014, Feb
Well Done !
Reaction score
God I wish I went to your high school. I ran long distances, but fought my way to a large belly in the last 35 years.

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
Hit the High Protein-Fat, Low Carb kick for a bit wishful.. I'm going to during my healing period for surgery so that's 8 weeks.. I'm using this time because I won't be able to go far!! lol..