Pumping: BathMate analysis

GTO

Retired Moderator, PEGym Editor, PEGym Hero
Reaction score
There has been a lot made of the BathMate (BM) recently, and I must admit that I was one of the skeptics; I saw it as more of a novelty than a true enlargement device. But after reading so many users post their experiences with the BathMate on several enlargement sites and forums, I began to reconsider my position and I did some research. As an on-again, off-again pumper for the last decade or so, I wondered how it (the BM) could stack up against my VacuTech pump. If it was the novelty I thought it was, no harm - no foul. I figured that if I did end up wasting my cash, I could still use it as another warm-up or warm-down device. If, on the other hand, it turned out to be what so many were claiming it to be, I would have added yet another tool to my PE toolbox that would aide me significantly in reaching my PE goals.

Skip ahead a few weeks and I'm sold - I am a BM believer and here to state emphatically that it does as advertised and then some. Now, with all of the following that I am going to write about the BM, I still do not consider it to be superior to that of my Vacu-Tech (VT) pump (or any other standard air pump of equal or better quality - I am using the VT as my reference point since that is the only brand of that level I have used). While the BM is a very well made product, the VT just looks, feels and is superior in manufacturing (IMHO). The gains from pumping with an air pump, such as the VT, are tested, proven and backed by the pumping community as a whole. While the BathMate has the potential to climb into this status, it is all too new and has no proven track record of aiding in establishing permanent gains. This post is specifically focused on my observations in using the BathMate and how I see it as a benefit/supplement to a manual routine.

Understand that hydro-pumping is nothing new; most quality dry cylinders can be used to "wet pump" using the same basic principles of the BM. The only difference is that the BM was specifically made for hydro-pumping.

Instructions on how the BM should be used can be found on the BM websites and various other sites across the internet. Most guys complain of air bubbles and discomfort at the base but I believe taking these steps will help create a consistent strong suction that is comfortable enough to wear without having to reseat the device:

I put my finger over the entire top part of the tube, not just the black button. I fill it to overflowing, the spread my legs a bit and crouch slightly at the knees and bend a bit at the hips. I slide the BathMate on and press it firmly into my pelvis, forcing the water out the top. I then stand straight up and give it two or three more firm presses and I'm good. You are gonna get bubbles so to minimize them, I lean back and let the small ones rise to the top of the tube. I give the tube a few shakes and I'm set.

The following are some benefits I have observed in using the BathMate:

- Even pressure.
Unlike traditional air-based vacuum pumps, the BM is a hydro-pump, which makes use of water and creates a constant and even pressure along the entire length of the shaft. Because of this even distribution, the penis as a whole becomes thicker. The 'donut-effect' - the swelling of tissues underneath the glans due to fluid buildup - is often avoided.

Additionally, because of the way the water creates the pressure, in-tube times of longer than 20 minutes during a session should be avoided. Sessions conducted with a VT can last much longer (up to several hours) since the limiting factor of the vacuum becomes the tube itself. The penis expands to reach the walls of the tube and more of the vacuum can be focused on the glans (but with a high degree of caution).

- It is difficult to create dangerous pressure levels.
The "optimum vacuum" occurs when the pump gaiter (the base) will not push down any further. The gaiter is made from a very thick rubber component which eventually returns to its original shape after been compressed. With a VT, a pressure gauge is necessary to ensure pressure levels are not too high. Experienced pumpers will tell you that you can really crank up the pressure in an air tube and not realize just how high the pressure really is. This can lead to serious damage being done to the penis.

It's important with an air pump to have a pressure gauge but because the BathMate uses it's own rubber compressing gaiter and a unique one way valve at the top, the pressure in the vacuum is optimized to a fairly safe limit (but as with any device in use on the genitals, caution should be used). Water allows the skin to stretch a bit more easily. Also with it not having to strangle the base of your penis to keep the air in, the penis chambers will develop right to the base under the scrotum equally (over-pumping with an air pump can lead to misshaped penis - pictures and examples of this are all over the internet).

- It's extremely comfortable.
In my opinion, this is where the BM has the biggest edge over the VT. The base of the BM (the gaiter) not only acts as the prime method of suction, but as a cushion against the pelvis and a constricting device against having the scrotum get sucked up into the cylinder (a peril that regular pumpers know of all too well). The foam is very comfortable and allows the high rate of suction and pressure the BM provides to be tolerable. With a VT at high pressure, the cylinder digs into the pelvis and can often be very uncomfortable.

I hope you all were able to gain something from this and that it helped in your research on the BathMate (as well as other types of pumps). Many exercises have been created with the BM in mind (see DLD's posts at MOS) and are very good. Be warned that these are more advanced techniques and should not be done unless you are well conditioned.

Thanks.

Last edited:

vulcan

Retired Moderator, PE Gym Editor, PEGym Hero
Reaction score
Good post, reppd.

blink2000

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I agree, great post :)

Question:
GettinThereOK: "over-pumping with an air pump can lead to misshaped penis - pictures and examples of this are all over the internet"

What is over-pumping & how can you avoid it? Keep in mind I have never used a pump before (although I have read about them of course)... but it seemed like this is something that can really go wrong & not much was said about it.

GTO

Reaction score
Over-pumping is just as it states - pumping too long at too high a pressure. The penis gets extremely distorted and bloated and does not look very appealing (IMO). This sort of pumping can also be considered extreme pumping - often leading to low erection quality and severe ED.

Don't want to post any sort of links here but do a Google search and you'll be able to see what I mean.

blink2000

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I google things all the time... but I wanted to understand what you meant by it. I can't google that ;)

Thanks for the answer.

blink2000

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I'm interested in pumping, but I'll probably try & be an expert on it before I actually do it. I like the feedback I keep hearing on the bathmate, so that's what has got my attention.

blink2000

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I think it could be fun to try & shock the wife with a temporary size boost.

I know lots of guys supplement workouts with pumping, but from what I've seen, it seems the best benefit is actually the temporary boost. I only say that because I've read about guys that gained massive permanent gains from pumping only, but I hear it made their dicks a bit soft.

GTO

Reaction score
Exactly (regarding the softness). That's one of the side effects of over-pumping. I visit Thunder's quite a bit and while some of the guys there are way on the extreme side, there are some there that have reported good gains (2+ inches) from a steady diet of low pressure/long session pumping and they state their EQ is still as good as ever.