Predicament between lower back pain and too strong pelvic floor

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the solution is anymore. I have an overactive pelvic floor which contributes to hard flaccid. However I also have lower back pain due to weak glutes and core. If I strengthen my glutes and core, it ends up tensing my pelvic floor which I'm trying to avoid. However if I don't do that my back pain becomes worse as well.

Johnny D

Moderator, PEGym Hero
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to be focusing on mobility, stretching, and muscle relaxation as much as you are strengthening. The muscles supporting your core and PF need to be strong but they also have to be loose and you have to learn how to relax them instead of keeping them contracted when not under load.

TheZZMan

Moderator, Member of the Month Sept 2018, PEGym H
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
For 3 years, with back issues, I wore a back brace belt to keep everything stable while having sex with the wife. Without the brace, pain kept me from enjoying. With the brace, I was no longer distracted by pain and able to enjoy myself. Look in to a brace, wear it to help your back heal and also help when having sexy time with your partner. You will thank me later.

akaTrex

Senior Member, Member of the Month Jan 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
It's all about Balance.

I too suffered from Back Pain until I focused on my Core and balancing out my Leg strength.
I have extremely strong quads and my hamstrings were lagging behind.
Once I concentrated on AB work and focused more on my Hamstrings my back pain ceased.

Reactions: sameel

oliverethan

Growing Posts (LTT)
Growing ! (ltt)
Well Done !
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the solution is anymore. I have an overactive pelvic floor which contributes to hard flaccid. However I also have lower back pain due to weak glutes and core. If I strengthen my glutes and core, it ends up tensing my pelvic floor which I'm trying to avoid. However if I don't do that my back pain becomes worse as well.
A few years ago, I was in a similar circumstance when I had these weird sensations. My primary problem was a constant need to pee. It woke me up several times during the night, and it also caused constipation and bladder problems and pain. When I tense the muscles in my lower abdomen to go to the bathroom, the pain begins in my pelvic area near the bladder, and if I keep pressing, the anguish grows and moves a little towards the rectum. Pelvic floor physiotherapy was advised by a friend who had similar problems and was treated by physiotherapy. I began seeing the PT, who has been exceptionally trained to assist in strengthening pelvic floor muscles. My pelvic floor physiotherapy comprised exercises, manual approaches, and movement coordination to address the symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction and help the forces operate correctly. After each session, we saw a difference, and I am now entirely cured!

Last edited:

Big Al

Administrator, Editor, Male Enhancement Coach
Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Website
www.maleenhancementcoach.com
Overactive isn't the same as strong. If you're experiencing spasming or strain, the cause needs to be addressed directly.

Have you looked into The HANS Protocol?

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to be focusing on mobility, stretching, and muscle relaxation as much as you are strengthening. The muscles supporting your core and PF need to be strong but they also have to be loose and you have to learn how to relax them instead of keeping them contracted when not under load.

It's all about Balance.

I too suffered from Back Pain until I focused on my Core and balancing out my Leg strength.
I have extremely strong quads and my hamstrings were lagging behind.
Once I concentrated on AB work and focused more on my Hamstrings my back pain ceased.

A few years ago, I was in a similar circumstance when I had these weird sensations. My primary problem was a constant need to pee. It woke me up several times during the night, and it also caused constipation and bladder problems and pain. When I tense the muscles in my lower abdomen to go to the bathroom, the pain begins in my pelvic area near the bladder, and if I keep pressing, the anguish grows and moves a little towards the rectum. Pelvic floor physiotherapy (link removed) was advised by a friend who had similar problems and was treated by physiotherapy. I began seeing the PT, who has been exceptionally trained to assist in strengthening pelvic floor muscles. My pelvic floor physiotherapy comprised exercises, manual approaches, and movement coordination to address the symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction and help the forces operate correctly. After each session, we saw a difference, and I am now entirely cured!

Overactive isn't the same as strong. If you're experiencing spasming or strain, the cause needs to be addressed directly.

Have you looked into The HANS Protocol?

Yeah I've been trying to work on strength and mobility the last 2 months, following advice from the HANS protocol too but as I mentioned if I try to fix one problem like the backpain, I end up tensing the pelvic floor. I'll continue to focus on deep breathing and RK's whenever I can as the two have helped with bloodflow during the day. Might even try find the right physio too

Big Al

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Website
Yeah I've been trying to work on strength and mobility the last 2 months, following advice from the HANS protocol too but as I mentioned if I try to fix one problem like the backpain, I end up tensing the pelvic floor. I'll continue to focus on deep breathing and RK's whenever I can as the two have helped with bloodflow during the day. Might even try find the right physio too
It would be worth looking into seeing if you have Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT). Many who've done this and sought treatment have noted improvement in their pelvic floor health.

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
It would be worth looking into seeing if you have Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT). Many who've done this and sought treatment have noted improvement in their pelvic floor health.
I definitely do have have that and the excercises I've been doing have helped. But it flares up a lot due to my physical job too. Gym has been an issue as everyworkout I do tenses that area so I'm trying to deep breathe between every rep

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I definitely do have have that and the excercises I've been doing have helped. But it flares up a lot due to my physical job too. Gym has been an issue as everyworkout I do tenses that area so I'm trying to deep breathe between every rep as well as apply the appropriate stretches

Reactions: Big Al

Big Al

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Website
That should help.

Dealing with your job aggravating your APT is a tough one- especially if you don't see a way around it. It becomes a question of doing what you can.

Regular deep sitting in a squat position will help, as will ensuring your knees are above your hips when you sit to use the toilet.

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
That should help.

Dealing with your job aggravating your APT is a tough one- especially if you don't see a way around it. It becomes a question of doing what you can.

Regular deep sitting in a squat position will help, as will ensuring your knees are above your hips when you sit to use the toilet.

Idk why but deep squats don't work anymore, it ends up retracting again if I get into that position even though it used to work fine. Good idea with the toilet thing. I find myself straining a lot due to this pelvic floor problem

letitgrow69

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Are you seeing a physical therapist for this issue?

I'm trying to find the right one first but reading online, people that have seen one for this issue are also just referred to the excercises I'm doing now to fix it. No doubt it works though because some days my blood flow down there is better than other

Last edited:

Big Al

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Website
The advantage AND disadvantage of online research is quantity of information. IMO, you'd best be served by getting a check up in person with a qualified therapist. This will help to eliminate doubt and guesswork- which can save you time and even money in the long run.

Reactions: letitgrow69