• If the url/link is for monetized objects, sites, sites selling items, etc., it is not allowed.
    We do have our site sponsors, who are allowed to utilize such.
    Thank you.

Parents & Love Life

mrplayer1984

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a peculiar topic id like to discuss and it is regarding my parents and their personal life which has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now (although its none of my business, I believe its important for a happy healthy couple) - I would also really like the viewpoint of older members (55-60+) who are married (with kids) and what their opinion is about this.
I come from a close knit family, I wont say very conservative but moderate. My parents have either been staying with me or my sister ever since we started working years ago. My father is currently retired but works on a freelance basis (just turned 67 today :)) and my mother still works (63).
My parents have always been there for me and my sister while we struggled through financial crises and other problems during our careers. During my high school years till I got my first job, my mother went so far as to take a job overseas and live alone for almost 10 years to earn extra money, we would meet once or twice a year for a couple of months. I could give my life for them both, for what they have sacrificed for me and my sister. However, I think in the process their personal life has taken a beating and I just realized it recently.
When I was talking to my girlfriend, she just happened to mention that her parents aged between 55-60 have sex often (lol don't ask me how she knows). It then struck me that I always thought that at my parents age, being off sex was a normal thing once you get to that age - but I think this has been the case since the past 8 years or so, as my parents and I live in my apartment (spacious enough with our individual privacy) and they don't bother about any alone time. Even looking at them I can make out that they are in no way concerned about sex or interested in it. They do fight a lot, one is arrogant and the other is short tempered lol. But they love each other even more and cannot live without each other. They have been happily married for around 40 years.
Is this a normal occurrence among couples of this age ? If this isn't normal, can anything be done about it without directly approaching them because I don't think that would be right.

not2big

Senior Super Moderator, PEGym Hero
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
We have been empty nesters for over 15 years. We do not express affection when others are present and do sometimes “bicker.” However, we have a very active love life.

As they say, you can’t tell a book by its cover.

I wouldnt approach them about this with a 10 foot pole.

halcyon_

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
You can find statistics online about the age of a person and the frequency of sex a person that age might have. I still don't know if I would apply that to your parents, however. Maybe leave that idea alone. About their bickering, it depends on the relationship you have with them, but generally parents see their children as their children and wouldn't take relationship advice.

Last edited:

mrplayer1984

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Hmm Thanks, ya I too am not comfortable approaching them directly about this. But is their condition normal ? :rolleyes:

halcyon_

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I have met people the age you've described and also married as long as you've said and bickering seemed normal to them.

mrplayer1984

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I guess with age, sex becomes less important and the relationship and bond is what matters.:rolleyes:

CUSP82

Administrator PEGym
Staff member
Excellent !
Well Done !
Reaction score
Let them live the way they want to. It seems they have done enough for you; time to return the favor and leave them alone.

Ellford

Senior Member, Member of the Month Sept 2019
Well Done !
Reaction score
I guess I should mention that in one of the more recent medical journals, we've noticed a "large" increase in sexually transmitted infections/diseases in the senior population (60+).

not2big

Senior Super Moderator, PEGym Hero
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
76 in a few weeks and we enjoy sex three or for times a week. Seems sex has become more important since the kids left home. Seriously doubt my kids have any idea about our sex lives.

mrplayer1984

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
agree

Sticke

Senior Member, Member of the Month March 2018
Well Done !
Reaction score
76 in a few weeks and we enjoy sex three or for times a week. Seems sex has become more important since the kids left home. Seriously doubt my kids have any idea about our sex lives.
I am not even 20 yet and if I have your kind of sex life at 76 I would be in heaven. Really happy for you, you are a true inspiration for me and many others!