How EXACTLY does edging help?

km0

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know what edging is (masturbating, when close to ejaculating you stop, repeat)

But how exactly does this help you overcome PE? I've read the other threads and articles but it just says that it'll help you have more control.

What exactly does this mean? How does it help you control?
The reason I ask is because it's been bothering me while I've been edging and kinda lowering my confidence b/c of these questions I have in mind.
---------
Also when I edge, i try not to have my kegal muscle automatically flex and I found out if i go r e a l l y s l o w, that's when i feel like i can relax my kegal, but if i just go the normal jacking of speed, i cant control it. Am I supposed to start of slow and work my way up? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks!

growth_problem

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
My problem is control here, sometimes I tend to go overboard and then I loose it and then on the third time I Reach my PoNR I ejaculate or at my 4th time, but I get a decent session of about 10-15 minuets.

Flanker6

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Reverse kegels tend to help more than regular kegels, as I've noticed. Regular kegels will get you closer to a dry orgasm while reverse kegels will tend to drop off all feeling whatsoever (this is just what I've noticed with myself). I've been lurking for a while and I think the general consensus is that reverse kegels aid more in PE (premature ejac.). If you don't know what a reverse kegel is, next time you go piss try to "push" out the urine faster and harder. That's a reverse kegel. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

twopumpchump

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
regular kegels help stregnthen all your muscles , which helps in unwanted reflexes during sex

Johndoe

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I think edging works through probably two mechanisms. One is through habituation, extended stimulation of the nerve leads it to be less sensitive. Does this mean permanent desensitization? Doubtful, unless you are actually being rough enough to damage the nerve. Think about being a guest in a house where someone forgot to take the trash out, at first it stinks but after a while you literally wont smell it anymore. The person who lives there will barely notice it even when being gone all day, but if they were to be gone for a week long vacation they would notice it stinks again when they return.
The other mechanism is that edging acts as a biofeedback session. You are behaviorally conditioning yourself through monitoring your body's response. All behavior has a biological component and your body will literally be modified according to your behavior. When people go through systematic desensitization, they are exposed to progressively higher levels of a stressor that elicits an undesired fear response. By forcing the person to modify their behavior in these repeated sessions the parasympathetic nervous systems response will lessen because the activation pathway to trigger that response has been altered by the behavior. Edging works the same way, but in your case it is excitation instead of stress. Simply engaging in prolonged masturbation will generalize to prolonged sex, a stamina training unit (artificial vagina) can further insure generalization if you feel the sensation from your hand is not sufficient to simulate the environment in which you are having issue. Increasing the pelvic floor muscles with kegels will even let you take it a step further by stopping ejaculation through muscular control.
Check out my thread "Kegeling Edging Experiment", lessen the kegels and edging time to what you feel is appropriate for you and follow perform it every other day. Progressively try to get closer to your point of no return before stopping.

pooper11

Registered Users (MTT)
Pretty Good !
Reaction score
Reverse kegels tend to help more than regular kegels, as I've noticed. Regular kegels will get you closer to a dry orgasm while reverse kegels will tend to drop off all feeling whatsoever (this is just what I've noticed with myself). I've been lurking for a while and I think the general consensus is that reverse kegels aid more in PE (premature ejac.). If you don't know what a reverse kegel is, next time you go piss try to "push" out the urine faster and harder. That's a reverse kegel. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you saying that if you somehow perform a reverse kegel while masturbating you will stop feeling the pleasure?

eczo

Registered Users (MTT)
Pretty Good !
Reaction score
I think edging works through probably two mechanisms. One is through habituation, extended stimulation of the nerve leads it to be less sensitive. Does this mean permanent desensitization? Doubtful, unless you are actually being rough enough to damage the nerve. Think about being a guest in a house where someone forgot to take the trash out, at first it stinks but after a while you literally wont smell it anymore. The person who lives there will barely notice it even when being gone all day, but if they were to be gone for a week long vacation they would notice it stinks again when they return.
The other mechanism is that edging acts as a biofeedback session. You are behaviorally conditioning yourself through monitoring your body's response. All behavior has a biological component and your body will literally be modified according to your behavior. When people go through systematic desensitization, they are exposed to progressively higher levels of a stressor that elicits an undesired fear response. By forcing the person to modify their behavior in these repeated sessions the parasympathetic nervous systems response will lessen because the activation pathway to trigger that response has been altered by the behavior. Edging works the same way, but in your case it is excitation instead of stress. Simply engaging in prolonged masturbation will generalize to prolonged sex, a stamina training unit (artificial vagina) can further insure generalization if you feel the sensation from your hand is not sufficient to simulate the environment in which you are having issue. Increasing the pelvic floor muscles with kegels will even let you take it a step further by stopping ejaculation through muscular control.
Check out my thread "Kegeling Edging Experiment", lessen the kegels and edging time to what you feel is appropriate for you and follow perform it every other day. Progressively try to get closer to your point of no return before stopping.

so basically ... if you edge with thoughts of fear of ejaculating too fast or stress in any way, then results when you have sex would be: ejaculating too fast etc. because your mind would associate that pleasure and feeling with THAT fear.

As opposed to edging with thoughts of confidence such as thinking & believing that you can last for hours...which would lead to a more positive result like... actually lasting for hours during the real thing?

am i correct?

normalguy

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
The mind is indeed a powerful tool and the fear of ejaculation, especially during intercourse, always lead to fast ejaculation...

spanky

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I edge differently to how I masturbate. I'm uncut so the main difference is that I use my foreskin when masturbating, and I hold my foreskin back and stroke lightly when edging. My control is still fairly poor when I use my foreskin, perhaps because of the increased force too, I'm not sure.

Anyway, edging is thereby less stimulating and so easier to control. Over a fairly short space of time this has helped me get accustomed to longer and longer sessions such that I now tend to deliberately finish up after 30-40 minutes simply out of boredom rather than a loss of control.

When I started, I would just stroke the shaft as my glans and frenulum were too sensitive to allow me to maintain control, but over time I found that edging after a PE workout I was really erect but at basically zero arousal so I could introduce the full cock into my strokes, glans and frenulum included.

I have since become able to do this from the off without any workout beforehand, which I simply couldn't do before. Now I'm a bit more creative and I use shaft only strokes, full penis strokes, glans only strokes and full foreskin usage incrementally as increasing "levels" of difficulty. I switch them up and down a little like changing gear, and over a short space of time I've become able to get pretty intense and maintain it at that level.

Using my foreskin - i.e. normal masturbation is still a challenge, but I'm improving every time.

It doesn't so much desensitise you as get you used to prolonged sensations and increase your tolerance. It also teaches you to separate intense sensations associated with high stimulation from the intense sensations associated with PONR. I couldn't separate those before, so my mind and body just responded to intense sensation as if it was PONR and bam! I was gone. Gentler edging gives you a chance to recognise and savour the different sensations for their own benefit.

As to WHY it works for stamina, I really couldn't say beyond what I've suggested above, and for what it's worth I'm sure my success from edging has also been helped along by the pelvic floor work I've been doing at the same time.