Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Modern Civilization Will Never Collapse

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

Iguana

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Are the dominos starting to fall? What is your opinion?

I'm referring to civil structure and order as we know it. Contemporary society with all it's institutions based on technology and capitalism.

If you believe so, what do you think will be the primary cause?

01. Destruction of natural habitats
02. Exhaustion of food sources
03. Decrease in biodiversity
04. Erosion and degradation of fertile soil
05. Exhaustion of fossil fuels
06. Exhaustion of fresh water
07. Lack of sustainable energies
08. Toxic Pollution
09. Global Warming / Production of green house gases
10. Over population
11. In-sustainability of first world living standards
12. Nuclear War
13. Pandemic Disease
14. Moral Decay, Corruption & Greed
15. Combination of 1 or more of the above
16. Other ______________________

Cernunnos

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
"Modern Civilization will never collapse." Hahahaha! That's a good one, Iguana ;). That really made me laugh.

I think it will take a while for it all to collapse, like the Roman Empire. But it has already started, that's for sure. I voted for 50+ years, and I go with option #15, all of the above! Minus #3 which I don't know about, and #12 because I don't think it will necessarily happen. It could though, it definitely could.

Cool poll, Iguana!

remek

Founder
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Well Done !
Reaction score
By following the mantra "never use the word never," I selected 50+ years. The odds are, of course, modern civilization will fail sometime . . . I just don't think it'll be anytime soon (when considering how many billions of years this planet has been around, odds are humanity will also go instinct sometime).

Although we are in some fragile and interesting times, I believe our society has faced much worse over the course of recent history.

What about you, Iguana? Did you vote 1-5 years away :) What do you think will cause society to fail?

Dustpan

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I don't think we will see modern civlization fail in our life time, but if it does fail who is going to stop it? After I get to a certain age I'm sure I wont care what happen to the civilization. As it is I am not happy with the way things are going and I am sure that they will not get better over the next 30 years.

Iguana

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
By following the mantra "never use the word never," I selected 50+ years. The odds are, of course, modern civilization will fail sometime . . . I just don't think it'll be anytime soon (when considering how many billions of years this planet has been around, odds are humanity will also go instinct sometime).

Although we are in some fragile and interesting times, I believe our society has faced much worse over the course of recent history.

What about you, Iguana? Did you vote 1-5 years away :) What do you think will cause society to fail?

Yea, I voted 1-5 years. I think it will be ultimately be #14, moral decay, corruption and greed, which in reality, is the cause of most of the other problems.

remek

Founder
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Well Done !
Reaction score
Yea, I voted 1-5 years. I think it will be ultimately be #14, moral decay, corruption and greed, which in reality, is the cause of most of the other problems.

But don't you think moral decay, corruption and greed have been around for a long time? I like to think that humanity is getting better in all these arenas overtime, even now. There's always two sides to a war, and history has shown that the good side generally wins (albiet in several cases it took a while).

jayhawk11

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I think the earth has been through just about everything than humans could do to it. Eveything we pollute the earth with comes from the earth.

If modern civilization collapsed it would happen slower than you think it would. Eventually we will just run out of resources and and slowly die away.

Unitl then. Happy Trails!!!

Iguana

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
But don't you think moral decay, corruption and greed have been around for a long time? I like to think that humanity is getting better in all these arenas overtime, even now. There's always two sides to a war, and history has shown that the good side generally wins (albiet in several cases it took a while).

True, moral decay, corruption and greed have been around a long time, as well as most things on the list, but is it really getting better? Reason would tell you that if it were then things should be improving for humanity. But just take a look at the list again. Most things on the list have gone so far as to threaten the very existence of all species on this planet.

I think the earth has been through just about everything than humans could do to it. Eveything we pollute the earth with comes from the earth.

If modern civilization collapsed it would happen slower than you think it would. Eventually we will just run out of resources and and slowly die away.

Unitl then. Happy Trails!!!

Well, while the basic elements of what we pollute the earth with may come from the earth, they are very lethal and destructive. Just look at the damage that has been done. Problem is, when you starting running out of resources people won't sit idly by and wait to die. There will be fierce animalistic competition for survival.

I think the days of happy trails are over. We're not in Kansas anymore Toto...

jayhawk11

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
True. They are toxic......But whatever we do to the earth; the earth will simply incorporate that into a new paradigm (earth + whatever). Life will go on without humans. The world might be better off without us anyways.

True. Animalistic competition will take place. May the best man win!!! :p

kingpole

Retired Moderator, PEGym Hero
Reaction score
True. They are toxic......But whatever we do to the earth; the earth will simply incorporate that into a new paradigm (earth + whatever). Life will go on without humans. The world might be better off without us anyways.

True. Animalistic competition will take place. May the best man win!!! :p

I believe we are heading for another cyclic judgement by God.

Biblical cyclic judgements:
The destruction of man (first earth age)
Dawning of Adam and Eve ending with Noahs flood. (Second earth age)
Pre Maccabean judgement on Israel and surrounding nations.
The Death and ressurection of Jesus Christ, decending of the holy spirit to earth (third earth age, the age of grace and increase in knowledge and science.)
The Tribulation ending with the millineal reighn of Christ (fourth earth age)
The decending of Yeweh and the new Jerusalem. (fith and final earth age)

The civilations may die in these judgements example a lot of the old testament empires collapsed such as Babalon in the Pre-Macabean judment.
The earth changes and a lot of peolple are destroyed in these judments but millions yet survive to live in a world that has been altered physically by God to accomadate a new age.

JonPop

Retired Sr. Administrator , PEGym Hero
Reaction score
Previous Failed Predictions.
Jehovah's Witnesses have predicted the end several times, but have now stopped naming years.
Millerites predicted end of world for 22 October 1844 - day known to followers as Great Disappointment.
Edgar C Whisenant wrote 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be in 1988 - followed up with predictions for 1989, 1993, and 1994.
Argentinian goalie Carlos Roa gave up football in anticipation of end of world in 2000.
Hal Lindsey in 1970's The Late, Great Planet Earth linked end of world to the EU.

jayhawk11

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Jehovah's Witnesses have predicted the end several times, but have now stopped naming years.
Millerites predicted end of world for 22 October 1844 - day known to followers as Great Disappointment.
Edgar C Whisenant wrote 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be in 1988 - followed up with predictions for 1989, 1993, and 1994.
Argentinian goalie Carlos Roa gave up football in anticipation of end of world in 2000.
Hal Lindsey in 1970's The Late, Great Planet Earth linked end of world to the EU.

Boy were they wrong. It's funny how superstition can influence our lives. It's also funny how some people explain certain events. Most of the time they just laugh all the way to the bank.

PESG

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
The Mayan calendar foretells the end of days on December 21st, 2012.

They're making a movie about that.

It will be amped-up and will scare a few people - then it will SUCK as a movie. Can't wait!

George W. Bush didn't end civilization in those 8 years, so I think we are pretty safe for now. He was the best bet for Armageddon.

jayhawk11

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score

George W. Bush didn't end civilization in those 8 years, so I think we are pretty safe for now. He was the best bet for Armageddon.

Yeah, he was too stupid to end modern civilization.

Iguana

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I believe we are heading for another cyclic judgement by God.

Biblical cyclic judgements:
The destruction of man (first earth age)
Dawning of Adam and Eve ending with Noahs flood. (Second earth age)
Pre Maccabean judgement on Israel and surrounding nations.
The Death and ressurection of Jesus Christ, decending of the holy spirit to earth (third earth age, the age of grace and increase in knowledge and science.)
The Tribulation ending with the millineal reighn of Christ (fourth earth age)
The decending of Yeweh and the new Jerusalem. (fith and final earth age)

The civilations may die in these judgements example a lot of the old testament empires collapsed such as Babalon in the Pre-Macabean judment.
The earth changes and a lot of peolple are destroyed in these judments but millions yet survive to live in a world that has been altered physically by God to accomadate a new age.

From a Biblical stand point, there yet remains a final judgement where the wicked will be permanently wiped from the planet.

"For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice, that there were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God; 6 and by those [means] the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water. 7 But by the same word the heavens and the earth that are now are stored up for fire and are being reserved to the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men.

2 Pet:5-7

Actually Jehovah's Witnesses have never predicted or given a date for the end. There have been fringe members
who have postulated dates but the organization itself has never endorsed any one date.

The Mayan calendar foretells the end of days on December 21st, 2012.
This is a very interesting read if you care to do a search on either 2012, or the Mayan calendar
http://thequickening.tribe.net/.
[URL]http://www.psychic-mystic.com/mayan-calendar.html[/URL]

I watched a series of programs on the History channel exploring this. Very speculative, but no less very interesting.

jayhawk11

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score

kingpole

Retired Moderator, PEGym Hero
Reaction score
Yes, the final Judgement of the wicked where they and Satan is cast inot the lake of fire. But we who are not judged as wicked live forever. There is no end just changes. What group are you guys going to be in?

Todger

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Well,...as I see it, there is always a civilization of those who are well off and those who suffer. Those who are well off prosper and acquire more of earths wealth which leaves less for those who suffer. Those who suffer increase in number. Those who suffer get pissed off and overthrow the few who are rich and for a while it's good. Then elitism strikes, once again there is segregation between those who are well off and those who aren't and the circle repeats itself.

They say that the only permanent thing is the change... but that change is very repetitive, almost constant in nature.
Historia est magistra vitae - they say but tell me, do you know anyone or any society that has learned anything from history and corrected it's mistakes?