How worried should someone be about HSV1?

ladysmanfelpz

Registered Users (MTT)
Pretty Good !
Reaction score
So dating a girl who is kind of a hypochondriac. She is really worried about STD’s and prefers PinV only with condom due to lack of exposure. No oral either way unless in a serious relationship. We are moving along and thinking of going for STD tests. I’ve been tested before and always negative, but she mentioned how you can be tested for Herpes which I didn’t know they had a test for. She says she has been tested and found she has HSV1 the lip herpes which is prevalent in 2/3rds of americans. So she has been worried about STD’s, but how much should I be worried about HSV1? From what I remember as long as someone isn’t in an active breakout you have very low chance of contraction. She has never had a cold sore, just a test that came up positive. I know that HSV1 can still transfer genitally, like HSV2, but is it something I should be worried about? I am a young healthy male and she has never had a breakout. Do I worry about this, or am I becoming a hypochondriac too? With how common cold sores are its likely I’ve already been exposed. I just wanted to check as I haven’t looked at the research recently. Thanks everyone

Ashealth

Administrator, Tech Admin, & Editor
Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
According to both the CDC and Time, in the United States, 47.8% of people aged 14–49 have HSV-1, while 11.9% of Americans in the same age group have HSV-2. It's pretty common and can be spread through kissing or sharing objects such as toothbrushes or eating utensils. However, if you are concerned, remember that HSV-1 and 2 can be spread even if sores are not present.

Ashealth

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Also, for HSV-1 is it oral or genital? Usually HSV-1 is oral, however, it can be genital. Oral herpes caused by HSV-1 can be spread from the mouth to the genitals through oral sex. Luckily, Genital herpes caused by HSV-1 can be asymptomatic or can have mild symptoms that go unrecognized.

MalikMasvidal

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
If you're pursuing a relationship with her, you'll probably get it eventually, if you're sexually active casually then you'll probably get it. Like what you and @Ashealth mentioned, its really common. Another thing thats even more common that you guys should worry about is HPV, about 80% of people that are sexually active have it or will get it, HPV also causes genital warts, and can cause different cancers most notably cervical cancer in women.

qbee

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
HPV is super common. My wife ended up with it, only found by a gynecology exam. We don't know where it came from lol.. she coulda had it for years, or who knows maybe I gave it to her. I wouldn't sweat avoiding that one much... it's almost always pretty benign.

Ashealth

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
80%? Please show a link…..

@tomcat88 https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/11901-hpv-human-papilloma-virus

How common is HPV?
HPV that affects the genitals is very common. Approximately 79 million Americans are currently infected with HPV, with roughly 14 million people becoming newly infected each year. Most men and women — about 80 percent of sexually active people — are infected with HPV at some point in their lives, but most people never know they have the virus.

ladysmanfelpz

Registered Users (MTT)
Pretty Good !
Reaction score
K kind of gone off topic. So her is oral HSV 1. I’m asking about transmission of oral HSV1 to genitals.

Ashealth

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
Fair point and I have no clue, maybe it's a guestimate?? lol

Ashealth

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
K kind of gone off topic. So her is oral HSV 1. I’m asking about transmission of oral HSV1 to genitals.

That is possible if she goes down on you, then you could risk getting HSV-1 to the genitals. It can still be transmitted even if she doesn't have any active symptoms. Herpes is pretty common though, so it's your personal choice.

To be open and honest, I tested positive for HSV-1 on the genitals in 2009. It was absolutely terrifying at first but I've never had an outbreak since the initial one. I have no clue who I got it from since I was exclusive and that person never had any symptoms while were together. I'm now married to someone different and my husband has never had any issues. So, I hope this helps.

CUSP82

Administrator PEGym
Staff member
Excellent !
Well Done !
Reaction score
If you want to find a girl that's completely virus free you may want to consider the priesthood.

MalikMasvidal

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
If most of these people never know they have the virus, then how does anyone else? 80% is hyperbole. Sorry for the interruption, carry on……

You'd have to look up the studies, maybe a long term study where they tested a big number of sexually active people and then tested them again years later, or maybe just some other statistical analysis.

Either way, it still is the most common STD.

ladysmanfelpz

Registered Users (MTT)
Pretty Good !
Reaction score
That is possible if she goes down on you, then you could risk getting HSV-1 to the genitals. It can still be transmitted even if she doesn't have any active symptoms. Herpes is pretty common though, so it's your personal choice.

To be open and honest, I tested positive for HSV-1 on the genitals in 2009. It was absolutely terrifying at first but I've never had an outbreak since the initial one. I have no clue who I got it from since I was exclusive and that person never had any symptoms while were together. I'm now married to someone different and my husband has never had any issues. So, I hope this helps.

How were you tested? I have a doctor's appointment coming up and want to do repeat STD testing for this girls peace of mind and to also know my baseline status. I saw for HSV1 they have two tests, an antibody test in the blood, and location testing. Is it best to do swab testing of both my lips and my genitals to see where? If I get an antibody test back positive it can just mean I was exposed to a girl with cold sores, so not sure how to go about this. I just found out recently you can be tested for it. I thought it was ghonorrhea, syphillis and chlamydia only!

Ashealth

Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
How were you tested? I have a doctor's appointment coming up and want to do repeat STD testing for this girls peace of mind and to also know my baseline status. I saw for HSV1 they have two tests, an antibody test in the blood, and location testing. Is it best to do swab testing of both my lips and my genitals to see where? If I get an antibody test back positive it can just mean I was exposed to a girl with cold sores, so not sure how to go about this. I just found out recently you can be tested for it. I thought it was ghonorrhea, syphillis and chlamydia only!

I believe mine was location testing, I went to the doctor when I had the breakout because I had no clue what was going on. At first, they thought it was an allergic reaction lol and then on the second visit they did the swab.