fasting for fitness

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Does anyone else on here fast periodically?

I just finished a 7 day fast, yes 7 long days and it was really tough. According to research I was able to get all the benefits.
1) ketosis
2) the growth hormone spike
3) helped my insulin-sensitivity
4) most importantly regeneration of my immune cells

My weight started off at 157 lbs and ended at 149 lbs. From what my bio scale says the weight loss was all fat.

I am pumped up about having an approximate body fat percentage of 18%. I haven't weighted this much in 20 years.

I can't explain how excited I am about my weight loss. I counted the looked from potential partners, people who I would actually have sex with, at 6. that is a gain of 6 people from last year who I would have sex with. One sad note... two were with some guys who were overweight.

So it just goes to show that being in shape is better than a big ole penis. But that will not stop me. I am still gonna continue my routine. Secretly I want to watch someone struggle with my D during sex. Does that make me wrong?

Pegasus

Administrator, PE Gym Editor, PEGym Hero; ,
Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Bio scale is not accurate for that you need dexa ,typically with fasts about half is muscle.

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
oof! half! ouch.

But, still looking much better. I've never really been muscular but I will admit that I am not as tone as I use to be. I certainly have lost muscle mass over the past few years. As of right now I would say that I am definitely skinny fat.

Pegasus

Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
Start working out./

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
Start working out./

I've been giving that some serious thought for a while now. some pushups, squats, and more walking. nothing too hardcore.

Jay1983

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2014, Sept
Well Done !
Reaction score
Core is key.

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score

master-gauge

Senior Member, Member of the Month May 2016
Well Done !
Reaction score
I've done 2 x 3 day fasts, one the first of Jan and just did one if Feb.. I lost like 20 lbs during that time (had it to loose), just coffee and water for that time period.. I honestly didn't find it that bad, I temporarily lost some strength and felt like my stomach was going to eat itself by day 2, but by day 3 that was all gone.. Elliot Hulse is a guy u want to look up on youtube for this.. I looked and felt better, thing is I started the eating process with larger keto big mac salad as apposed to eating something smaller.. I regained full strength by the next day.. There are not really any problems I see with the short term fast 3-7 day, but going for a month like some do?! No thanks!! lol..

BigRooster

Senior Member, Member of the Month Apr 2018, PEG
Reaction score
I don't do any fasting for me its just skipping meals. My son though has been doing intermittent fasting. He has lost 18pounds in tree weeks. Ask me to help clean up his diet, not a 100% but he has gotten off the processed food about 90%. Told him he needs to start doing some exercising with some weights to keep toned.

keto big mac salad

How is that MG? I seen it on another site that starts with a P and has interest in it. I do the eggroll in a bowl and we love it.

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
I've done 2 x 3 day fasts, one the first of Jan and just did one if Feb.. I lost like 20 lbs during that time (had it to loose), just coffee and water for that time period.. I honestly didn't find it that bad, I temporarily lost some strength and felt like my stomach was going to eat itself by day 2, but by day 3 that was all gone.. Elliot Hulse is a guy u want to look up on youtube for this.. I looked and felt better, thing is I started the eating process with larger keto big mac salad as apposed to eating something smaller.. I regained full strength by the next day.. There are not really any problems I see with the short term fast 3-7 day, but going for a month like some do?! No thanks!! lol..

7 days for me was brutal. But with that being said I will admit that i've noticed positive changes. I had a cut my leg that was healing slow - had it for a week with no signs of healing. I broke my fast Friday night and the cut is almost gone. There are coronavirus cases about withing 10 miles for where I live so the immunity boost was a driving factor.

I watched this video - the source of the information is usually the best place to get information. I'm kinda outing myself as a nerd but I'll own it. It's a hard listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uu9feq0fR0

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
It is brutal, lol.. I would have my doubts I could get 7 days in.. Once getting over the initial hunger pangs, it's really not that bad thou, I found my cognitive functions where still spot on (I am studying a lot right now) so I would notice that, there were no ups or downs after the initial pangs and the blood sugars levelled out.. I found my skin went kind of silky and felt different.. The cut healing on yourself would not surprise me, lots of hidden sugars in food and if pre diabetic etc. even if not known.. The thing is ppl panic so bad when they don't eat every few hrs.. Look at 100 yrs and back, ppl went days at times without eating 3-4 without an actual meal, just drinking water etc. this is very similar in a way.. I will add too, that every major religion around the world has some sort of fasting ritual.. There really is something to it..

@Big Rooster, loved the idea of intermittent fasting, it can be challenging but that I really didn't find that bad ether, I just tried to keep the larger meal at the end of day.. I use to eat from 10am to 6pm and that was it, coffee and water in those off times..
The Keto Big Mac Salad is awesome!! I eat almost too much of that.. I can't find the exact recipe but this is what goes in mine:

Keto BigMac Sauce:
1/2 to 3/4 cup of Mayo
2Tbsp of Diced fine Dill Pickle
1Tbsp of Diced fine White Onion
1Tbsp of White Vinegar
1/2tbsp of Smoked Paprika
And 1 packet of Splenda or Steiva Sweetener

Salad Portion:
1 lb of Ground Beef
As much Salt and Black Pepper u want to add to the beef
4 cups of Ice Berg Lettuce (shredded fine)
3/4 cup of Cheddar Cheese
The rest of your White Onion u used for the sauce and more sliced up Dill Pickle (Med. sized one)

Layer it this way: Lettuce first, Ground beef 2nd, Onion and Pickle to the beef, shredded cheese, Then the sauce drizzled over it.. Mix up together and eat..
It's freakin' decent!! The sauce if u make more in a batch will last about 4-5 days in the fridge.. The sauce seems to go with alot, I've even had it with chicken and rice..

Last edited:

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
That sounds yummy. Time for me to eat my fajitas.

master-gauge

Well Done !
Reaction score
Sorry fellas, forgot to add there is 4Tbsp of Yellow Mustard in the sauce, lol.. Enjoy!!

Johnny D

Moderator, PEGym Hero
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
I've been giving that some serious thought for a while now. some pushups, squats, and more walking. nothing too hardcore.
There may be some general health benefits to fasting but if you're not working out, you're missing the fundamental component of fitness.

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score
There may be some general health benefits to fasting but if you're not working out, you're missing the fundamental component of fitness.

true but losing fat is always a plus.

ErnieStreet

Registered
Well Done !
Reaction score

Ashealth

Administrator, Tech Admin, & Editor
Staff member
Excellent !
Extraordinaire !
Reaction score
I don't normally do full days of fasting, just 16 hours of fasting and then 8 hours of eating. Does anyone work out while fasting? If so, what type of workouts are you doing? I was running while fasting but wasn't sure on the best way to replaced electrolytes while fasting.

Pegasus

Staff member
Excellent !
Reaction score
I don't normally do full days of fasting, just 16 hours of fasting and then 8 hours of eating. Does anyone work out while fasting? If so, what type of workouts are you doing? I was running while fasting but wasn't sure on the best way to replaced electrolytes while fasting.

I don't really fast but do go 12 or 16 hr without food (unless you count coffee)from time to time and yes I continue to train . The electrolytes should not need replacing if you eat normally most of the time . If you are training for marathons or the like you might think about the timng of your training and supplementing in your eating window.

Johnny D

Moderator, PEGym Hero
Staff member
Well Done !
Reaction score
I would echo what Pegasus said.

I stop eating in the early afternoon and then don't start eating again until after my morning workout. I workout pretty hard - combination of resistance and cardio - and haven't found that being in a fasted state is a hinderance. There have been a few times when I've been purposeful about trying to put on more muscle weight and I would go into my workouts with some whey powder but I don't know that it made a big difference. I do make sure to eat within an hour or two afterward, though. But I do supplement with pre-workout electrolytes in the form of a drink powder (my preference is LMNT) and I do feel the difference there.